Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheels

5 posters

Go down

Wheels Empty Wheels

Post by theo1231231 Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:48 am

Hello, so this is the 3rd night in a row Ive been woken up super early by my mouse wheel..

I first got the flying saucers, because better for their backs and they can all run around together on it and it looks super cute and fun, but after a few days, all their weight at the same time being on it broke it and now it rattles really badly, so I got another and the same thing happened.. the original flying saucer that the mice came with, has never made a noise for some reason, but the 2 other ones I got all started rattling super loud in a couple of days.

Then I got a couple of silent spinners, and kept the original flying saucer in there because it doest make noise.. Anyway, one of the silent spinners seems to be on its way after a couple of weeks, they like to go on it in pairs, which is probably the problem.

Im wondering if anyone knows any ways of preventing the noise? its not that their squeaking, their rattling so I dont think oil will help..

maybe does anyone know of the most silent and durable wheels on the market? Id rather pay for something that lasts than keep having to buy new ones, and always being kept awake.

thank you, Theo.

theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Wheels Empty Re: Wheels

Post by Peachy Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:07 am

Oiling the flying saucer actually worked to help mine stop rattling. They were squeaking too, though. It might be worth a try.

For the silent spinner it's usually the gap between the white part and the colored rim that causes the rattling. I know tape isn't recommended, like ever, but I took two small pieces of scotch tape and taped the wheel pieces together, on the outside. And it's silent. If you decide tape is too risky, an alternative could be gluing it.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:24 am

Im confused, where exactly do you put the tape? where Im thinking it would stop it spinning all together
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:34 am

I used the tape to hold the white piece and the blue piece tight so it couldn't rattle, but on the outside so they can't run on it. I chose taping because then you can still take it apart to clean it well. These wheels get gross! Razz Without a big gap, it's safer for toes, too.

Wheels 20161121

If you think it's rattling from somewhere else, though, I haven't found a fix. Some people talk about taking it apart but I've never found out how. Scratch
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Mon 14 Nov 2016, 9:12 am

Another thing to check is that the noise isn't caused by the wheel rattling against the bottom of the cage. One of my mice is big and fast and she actually causes the wheels to bounce. You can try setting a rock on the bottom frame to hold it still or pack bedding down on it. The only time my saucer rattles is when it is in a raised frame. When it is down on with the bedding around it even the big girl can't get it to rattle. It is at least something to try.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 14 Nov 2016, 9:55 am

Good ideas. I remember how noisy the silent spinner got when I had it attached to the cage wall instead of the stand. The whole cage rattled! lol That might be something to check out if you have a cage instead of a tank.

If nothing else works, a comfort wheel might be worth a try. They're bigger than Silent Spinners so can accommodate multiple mice, but they're also quiet.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:53 pm

Ditto CanadianExport. That's the only time my Silent Spinner has made more than a quiet whooshing noise.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Mon 14 Nov 2016, 1:35 pm

I have an 8" (I think that is the size, it is the middle one) comfort wheel and it is not bad when my smaller mice run on it but boy is it LOUD when my big girl runs. It rattles even worse than my silent spinner and saucer. Just my opinion, but the big girl (Winnie) runs full out on it and it clunks and rattles and bounces. That is my experience with it. The only, solid, super quiet wheel that I have not heard anyone complain about comes from hamster forums, and that is Carolina Storm Express but that is a BIG, expensive wheel. But from everything I have heard they are super silent. But they will take up most of a cage in anything but a 40B and need at least 14" in height. Everything that I am saying about the CSE though comes from heresay on hamster forums, I have no experience with it at all. Good luck with your wheels!
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Mon 14 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

CanadianExport wrote: The only, solid, super quiet wheel that I have not heard anyone complain about comes from hamster forums, and that is Carolina Storm Express but that is a BIG, expensive wheel. But from everything I have heard they are super silent. But they will take up most of a cage in anything but a 40B and need at least 14" in height. Everything that I am saying about the CSE though comes from heresay on hamster forums, I have no experience with it at all. Good luck with your wheels!

There is also the Carolina Storm Wheel (not the Express model) which is shorter, 11.5" at the lowest setting and, per scaredymouse, just clears the screen in her dwarf ham's 20L tank. That is on my wishlist for Syrian ham Imogene -- she has a comfort wheel that I had for my mice and when she runs full tilt, that thing rattles so much I can hear it a full room away!

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Mon 14 Nov 2016, 5:44 pm

Peachy, I can attest that the gluing the colored piece to the white piece on the silent spinner got rid of most of the rattling on a really old spinner that I got from a thrift store! Even with my big girl running on it, pretty much all of the rattling is gone. Thanks for the tip!
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 14 Nov 2016, 6:03 pm

I'm glad it worked! This tutorial worked for my rattling comfort wheel. For a while anyway... my girls chewed off the knobby tip so now the wheel slips off when anyone spins it. It was old though, I don't know if it'd help with rattling caused by heavier pets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcKk5nNYCc&app=desktop

I've heard of the bucket wheels from hedgehog owners. There's DIYs for those, too. Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:22 pm

Hey guys thanks for your help, the tape thing worked for a while but now it seems to be drooping down from the stand attachment, like their combined weight has bent it or something. it rattles pretty bad when the big ones on it, but yeh I might get one of those bigger wheels, thank you Smile
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:30 pm

Peachy wrote:I'm glad it worked! This tutorial worked for my rattling comfort wheel. For a while anyway... my girls chewed off the knobby tip so now the wheel slips off when anyone spins it. It was old though, I don't know if it'd help with rattling caused by heavier pets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcKk5nNYCc&app=desktop

I tried this and it didn't lesson the amount of rattling caused by my biggest girl.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum