Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bedding & sterilization

4 posters

Go down

bedding & sterilization Empty bedding & sterilization

Post by boofandkara Thu 28 Apr 2016, 5:50 pm

heylo,

so do i truly need to sterilize the bedding? and if so, how does that work - i do not have a large freezer, so i stuck a big bag of carefresh in my boyfriend's freezer. however our work schedules conflict so i can only get it from him late at night, and then i have work early the next morning. can i get it from him tonight, and then change the bedding tomorrow evening? or does that render the sterilization useless? can i just sterilize the bedding and then it's good to go whenever, or does it have to be used straight out of the freezer?

im sorry i think i just asked the same question like ten different ways Ear wiggle

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

bedding & sterilization Empty Re: bedding & sterilization

Post by MouseLover Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:16 pm

Doesn't have to be used straight from the freezer. The act of freezing should kill any nasties, and they won't come back Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but freezing the bedding didn't actually do anything. In order for freezing to be effective for sterilization at all, it has to be a sub-zero freezer, which most people do not own. Baking is the only real way to sterilize bedding with household objects, and there should be instructions around here somewhere.

But... I'll be honest. I've never really sterilized bedding besides a failed attempt at freezing it, and I've been getting away with it for a long time. Someone will probably disagree with me, but I don't find it too necessary, or at least nothing to get worried about. You can always stick to beddings with less reported cases of being bad if you want to play it safe, like shredded newspaper.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:20 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but freezing the bedding didn't actually do anything. In order for freezing to be effective for sterilization at all, it has to be a sub-zero freezer, which most people do not own. Baking is the only real way to sterilize bedding with household objects, and there should be instructions around here somewhere.

But... I'll be honest. I've never really sterilized bedding besides a failed attempt at freezing it, and I've been getting away with it for a long time. Someone will probably disagree with me, but I don't find it too necessary, or at least nothing to get worried about. You can always stick to beddings with less reported cases of being bad if you want to play it safe, like shredded newspaper.
Ahh thank god this is what I wanted to hear. I just wish I'd heard it before I took my shower for the night! The boys will have to wait until tomorrow.

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:22 pm

As long as the mice are treated for parasites a few times throughout their lives, the chore of baking or deep freezing is not needed.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum