Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse hammocks/cubes and all that

5 posters

Go down

Mouse hammocks/cubes and all that Empty Mouse hammocks/cubes and all that

Post by Artistwolf Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:05 pm

Well well. Other people are bringing up some sorta controversial issues so I felt I might as well ask this.
On TFM, people were very strict about cotton thread being dangerous and how it should never be used on a mouse's hammocks/cubes or whatever.
So... is that still true? I mean... I've seen a lot of people selling (and buying) items with cotton thread and having no problem. Confused And I want to make an sell some small animal hammocks and cubes and whatnot. I don't want to put them in any danger... but at the same time, if it's unnecessary, I don't want to be buying monofilament thread (I don't even know if that would work in a sewing machine—probably not).
Any ideas?

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Mouse hammocks/cubes and all that Empty Re: Mouse hammocks/cubes and all that

Post by CallaLily Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:33 pm

Questions! Yes, questions are good!

I know the general consensus is that cotton has longer fibers that can get tangled around limbs and internal organs if ingested. Fleece or felt have shorter fibers. Like you, I have seen many people using/selling items made with cotton (fully or in part) for mice and other pets that tend to chew. I don't know how likely these issues arise though.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 24 Nov 2016, 1:11 pm

I think this is something that owners should ultimately decide. The potential consequences of using cotton haven't changed, and it's not just mouse owners that discourage its use.

I used cotton thread on a hammock a few weeks ago. The mice tore it out and stuffed it in their nest! lol I wouldn't be opposed to using it again... that monofilament stuff is a pain in the butt. I would be leery about using cotton fabric, though.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:05 pm

Oh! Sorry, I should clarify. I mean cotton thread. I'd definitely only use fleece or felt for the actual fabric. Thanks, Peachy... that's interesting.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:34 am

I just use polyester thread, which is the same material that fleece is made out of and feel pretty good about it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe NM said that it was fine.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 25 Nov 2016, 3:36 am

I use a polyester/cotton mix thread for things like that for Colin. I've used monofilament a couple of times, but it can't go in my sewing machine and I get fed up of sewing by hand!
But I think it comes down to knowing your mice sometimes - I've learnt that Colin will only chew cardboard and paper most of the time - he doesn't even chew wood at all so I know that most things will survive him quite happily.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:15 am

Polyselter thread.. that's a thought. I think I have some of that. That thread is a little more harder-feeling, right?

Last edited by Artistwolf on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:34 am

scaredymouse wrote:I just use polyester thread, which is the same material that fleece is made out of and feel pretty good about it.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe NM said that it was fine.

Good to know!  Right now I've just been hot gluing hammocks. Laughing  Not as pretty but holds up better than I thought. But I'm glad to hear this thread will work too.  I've been thinking I need a sewing machine. I used to make cloth diapers years ago on my mom's sewing machine. Hammocks can't be any harder.

@Artistwolf, don't know how I missed that you were talking only about thread! Sorry about that. Good to hear you'll be sticking with the known safe materials!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum