Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Bottles

5 posters

Go down

Water Bottles Empty Water Bottles

Post by Unicorn Sat 24 Dec 2016, 5:42 pm

So, Hodag, my hamster, has a glass bottle with a metal spout to drink from and a little rubber ducky inside so I can tell at a glance when he's starting to get low.

It's a great bottle. So I bought Flynn the exact same bottle. And it absolutely refused to dispense water. So I exchanged it for another of the same brand, thinking it was a flaw in just that bottle. The new one also would not work. I gave up on returns/exchanges and straight up bought a second bottle, which I took the lid from and replaced it on the glass one (I figured glass was better). Nope, still can't get a drop from it. Took the glass bottle out and just gave him the new plastic one in its entirety.

He still. Can't. Get. Water. Out of it. *headdesk headdesk headdesk*

he licks so gently at the very edge of the bottle that at first I thought he just isn't pushing hard enough but it's not that- I can't get it to dispense any pushing it with my finger, either. I don't know if it's the angle of the bottle but I can't really test that theory because he's in a tank and I can only find the one holder that will put a bottle in an aquarium.

Anyway so my poor mouse is reduced to drinking out of a bottle cap. I don't like the potential for contamination and also for spilling and then being thirsty with an open water source like that (I frequently work 12 hour shifts). He's too wee and has too fast a metabolism (and being a boy he pees too much) to ever not have water if he wants it. AAAAUGH.

Anybody know of water bottles that don't leak all over the cage but also actually dispense water such that their mice can get at it? Or some other safe watering solution?
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Water Bottles Empty Re: Water Bottles

Post by Akoniti Thu 29 Dec 2016, 5:44 pm

I had the same experience with large glass Kaytee water bottles, with the rubber ducky. Three in a row just refused to dispense water! Even if I pushed the ball rapidly, no consistent water dispensed. Had really good luck with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Choco-Nose-H128-Patented-Critter/dp/B00S1SY1X0/ref=zg_bs_2975527011_1/151-6949280-7487555?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NRCZ5CJPGRAC5GMRCDNE

...and this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/food-and-care/food-and-water-accessories/grreat-choice-small-animal-water-bottle-31942.html?cgid=600006

Those glass bottles made me so paranoid we do two bottles now, just in case...

Not sure why little Flynn can"t get water out of the new one tho- is it a good height for him to push on the spout?

Angel RIP: Link, Toad, Despereaux, Minnow, Shogun, Ophelia, Arya, Zeo, D2
Akoniti
Akoniti
Jr Member
Jr Member

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Thu 29 Dec 2016, 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for your help! I looked up something that said to try only filling the bottle halfway, so I dumped out half the water and so far it seems to be working, I'll see if it continues to be okay, if it starts holding out on him again though now I have two ideas for something else.
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:48 am

Is it a spring loaded spout? If it is, you could try to look for one that is not spring loaded. It will probably leak a little bit more but it shouldn't be as hard to push in and get water out of.

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 30 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm

I love these bottles:
http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/small-animal/small-animal-feeding-supplies/you-and-me-universal-water-bottle#

They've always worked well for me and are great for my bottle chewers. The downsides are that it's tricky to hang and some owners don't like the spout position. Pardon

Maybe you could test bottles before you leave the store. I don't know how some people have such awful luck with water bottles, but that's been suggested to/by owners who were having the same problem.

I've also had luck blowing into bottle spouts that don't work. I can't remember where that idea came from or why it works, but it's my go to on stuck bottles. Laughing
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 30 Dec 2016, 9:44 pm

This is the only water bottle I have tried and trust so far:
http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-water-bottle-small#

Except I get the "printed" version, not sure if it makes a difference though.

I too, have had bad luck with bottles.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Fri 30 Dec 2016, 9:46 pm

Thanks everyone! Keeping bottle half-full seems to be allowing Flynn to access his water, so I'll stick with this for now. But I'm thrilled to have all these options here, it's really good to have specific recommendations that people have tried. <3
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum