Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kitty Claw Caps?

5 posters

Go down

Kitty Claw Caps? Empty Kitty Claw Caps?

Post by Peachy Sun 25 Dec 2016, 8:57 pm

Anyone ever try these? We're thinking about trying them with Missy. She's such a butthead. Our boy cat's face is all scratched up and swollen because she hits him and gets her claws stuck in his face. She also likes to beat up the dog for walking past her. We just can't have her running around tearing everyone up for daring to look at her. Rolling Eyes
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Kitty Claw Caps? Empty Re: Kitty Claw Caps?

Post by MesaMouse Mon 26 Dec 2016, 7:17 pm

My late dog's groomer at Petco suggested claw caps for Bochy if I didn't want to clip her claws myself (and if she didn't use the scratching post). I just rolled my eyes at Jennifer and she started to laugh. My fear would be that the cat would pull them off and ingest them...and, seriously, how is anyone going to slip those tiny things on a cat's nails? Gonna ask it to please sit still while you press the paw to express the nails and then who knows how long it'll take to get those little caps on? I'd just get one of those small guillotine-style cat nail clippers and hope for the best.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 26 Dec 2016, 7:35 pm

I've never used them before. We were going to at one point and even went as far as to buy them... But never put them on. The problem resolved. I usually just cut their nails, which makes things manageable for us. But our cats don't ever try to rip any faces off.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 26 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm

We were thinking about just putting as many as we can on while she's sleeping on our laps. Otherwise I imagine the vet could help us out. lol

Forgot to look at them while I was at PetSmart earlier. I'll have to look in a couple more weeks. That'll give me time to research them a bit more, too. Trying to stay off the Internet as much as I can. Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 27 Dec 2016, 8:41 am

I've never used them before either, and just trim their nails now and again. I do have one grumpy kitty that takes a swipe at others but she usually doesn't extend claws. Poor boy kitty and pup! Cat8

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Tue 27 Dec 2016, 3:18 pm

Peachy, go to this website and search "claw caps." There's quite a bit of info and discussions, pro and con, about their efficacy, ease (or not) to glue on, cat removal, etc.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Degare Tue 27 Dec 2016, 5:22 pm

I've used them. We have 3 cats.
They're easy to apply (assuming your cat trusts you to touch it's feet).

They also fall off naturally along with the claws' outter sheathing (this is why they scratch at things, their outter nail sheath sheds). But this takes between 1 and 2 months to happen. I have never had a case of a cat swallowing one (though if it did, it's small enough and non-toxic, they'd just pass it).

Claw caps do not prevent a cat from retracting their claws, or extending them. They do not effect how they walk or move.

The only problem, is that if you have a cat that LOVES toys, sometimes the claw cap will get stuck on a toy, and have to be removed by you (toys with lots of string loops, etc).

The plus side vs the down side... There's a reason why most vets will recommend them.
Degare
Degare

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 28 Dec 2016, 12:27 am

Missy seems to hate toys, too. I once spent 45 minutes trying different toys and she growled at every single one. There was one time that she played with a ribbon, but it didn't last long.

It's not just the other pets but my daughter that has me a little concerned. Generally I'm cool with the cats giving her a swat if she needs it, but the sort of swats Missy gives aren't what my kiddie needs. I've read a few conflicting stories, I think I might do one paw while she's sleeping and see how she reacts. Hopefully she'll be one of the cats that don't even notice! Razz

Thanks all! Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum