Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[QUESTION] Why are my pet mice piling their bedding against the grid of their enclosure?

2 posters

Go down

[QUESTION] Why are my pet mice piling their bedding against the grid of their enclosure? Empty [QUESTION] Why are my pet mice piling their bedding against the grid of their enclosure?

Post by sparkocm Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm

As the title of the topic says. Razz My pet mice keep piling their bedding (shredded paper, absorbent odorless cardboard cuttings) against the metal grid of their enclosure. It doesn't matter if it's fresh or old bedding and they seem to do so at seemingly random spots of the cage. Anyone has a clue on this behavior? Smile

sparkocm

Back to top Go down

[QUESTION] Why are my pet mice piling their bedding against the grid of their enclosure? Empty Re: [QUESTION] Why are my pet mice piling their bedding against the grid of their enclosure?

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 30 Dec 2016, 1:34 pm

It's just mice doing mouse stuff. Not a big deal!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

[QUESTION] Why are my pet mice piling their bedding against the grid of their enclosure? Empty Re: [QUESTION] Why are my pet mice piling their bedding against the grid of their enclosure?

Post by sparkocm Fri 30 Dec 2016, 2:01 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:It's just mice doing mouse stuff. Not a big deal!

Ah! mouse stuff, little rascals give me more to clean around their cage! hahaha glad to know it's completely normal. I was starting to think they didn't like the bedding or it was too much (it's about half a cm thick) or even that it was too dirty. But I am cleaning their things and changing their bedding 1 a week and they did it with their clean bedding too.

Thanks for the reply being an absolute novice in mice care is kind of embarrassing but I am loving the experience so far this little critters are adorable!

sparkocm

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 30 Dec 2016, 2:35 pm

Don't even worry! We were all novices at some point, and you never stop learning. If I can give you a tip, I would give them more bedding. Half a centimeter isn't enough for them to really dig and burrow like they like to! 2", or 5cm, is the best amount for girls. Sometimes I give more to boys cause they're stinky.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkocm Fri 30 Dec 2016, 3:09 pm

oops I just realized I made a major typo! I meant to type in: it's about 3 and a half cm thick. But I see it's still a little. I am planning in getting them a multi tank setup, so I will get a deeper one to add more (a little more solid) bedding that they can burrow in.

sparkocm

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 30 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm

Oooooh okay! 3.5cm is decent, but a little more would make them happy. We do recommend against multi-tank setups though. They're difficult to maintain and often lead to split colonies and territorial behavior. And you can't even add more mice to them because they don't increase floor space. Just a simple, appropriately sized aquarium with a screen top is the best setup for mice.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkocm Fri 30 Dec 2016, 3:17 pm

Ok so my main enclosure should suffice (its a pretty decent I call it the Mouse Penthouse). Thanks

sparkocm

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 30 Dec 2016, 3:23 pm

So long as it's properly sized for the amount of mice you have, yes!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum