Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips on disinfecting wood chews?

5 posters

Go down

Tips on disinfecting wood chews? Empty Tips on disinfecting wood chews?

Post by MooMouse Sat 31 Dec 2016, 1:27 pm

So Rogue had a URI earlier this week that he is currently being treated for. I am cleaning out his tank really well so that hopefully, any germs that were in there won't be in there anymore when he returns to living in it. I threw out all of the cardboard and a few smaller wooden chews but there was a really nice wooden reptile log in there that is brand new and that I don't particularly want to throw out. That being said, is it possible to disinfect this log thing in the oven? I read on a reptile page that you can put wood in the oven on 200-250° F for 2-3 hours but that just sounds like a really long time for a small wood log. If anyone had tried this before any advice would be appreciated Smile
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Tips on disinfecting wood chews? Empty Re: Tips on disinfecting wood chews?

Post by Peachy Sat 31 Dec 2016, 2:33 pm

I've seen different times for baking, but I prefer to boil wood toys for 15-20 minutes. You can get cheap pots at a dollar store.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 31 Dec 2016, 5:44 pm

I don't bake very often but when I do, i bake at 250 for 2 hours. I have this nice grapewood piece and when it needs cleaning I scrub it down in the sink with soap and water, then bake. That piece of wood is way too big to fit in a pot on the stove. So I just got used to soaking things in the sink in soapy water and then baking.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Sat 04 Feb 2017, 2:31 am

My girls actually had URI's that I treated them both for, but I didn't even think of disinfecting their toys. Problem is, their home is made of wood that seems to be glued together… if I were to boil it the wood would actually fall apart and they'd lose their little hut. Is it necessary? They've been URI free for a week now

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 04 Feb 2017, 5:27 am

If they have both been treated and you don't share the house with any other mice, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, the name Nibbles is adorable! I have a hamster named Slappy, you can probably imagine how I came up with that Wink

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 04 Feb 2017, 9:38 am

scaredymouse wrote:I don't bake very often but when I do, i bake at 250 for 2 hours.

The most interesting mouse-mom in the world! Snowman

I wish the snowman was a mouse. Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 04 Feb 2017, 11:11 am

Bwahaha!

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum