Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Housing males together?

4 posters

Go down

Housing males together? Empty Housing males together?

Post by Josie705 Wed 04 Jan 2017, 2:53 pm

What are your thoughts on housing males together? I seem to get a lot of disagreement on how my males are housed together, so I wanted to share and see other people's thoughts and experiences.

My experience housing males together has been a good one. My breeder breeds specifically for two things. Color and temperament. She houses all her females together by color, and all her males together by color. Males that cannot get a long peacefully are sold as frozen snake food. My four male mice have been living peacefully for 7 months now. The only problem I have with them are that they are quite stinky.

In fact, all of my mice have strongly bonded to one other mouse, and the bond looks like its actually going to be fatal for one of my mice. I had a mouse that the dog grabbed. Unfortunately it died last night and it looks like its bonded partner is extremely depressed and refusing to eat, drink, or even move. I'm seeing these males as quite emotional guys.

So I was just wondering what your thoughts or experiences on housing male mice together are? My thoughts and experiences have been good, have yours been?

Josie705

Back to top Go down

Housing males together? Empty Re: Housing males together?

Post by Peachy Wed 04 Jan 2017, 3:20 pm

It's neat that you've found someone who works on male temperaments. The thing is that they can do so well together for a long time, and then one day something sets one off and unexpectedly, before you can even stop it, you have a male that's seriously injured... or dead. This thread has some pictures and stories to show off what could happen. In the second post there's more valuable info i would recommend reading.

https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos

In the end they're your mice, and we do respect that you can do what you like with them. We just discourage it as much as we can, and ask that you don't encourage others to do the same. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 04 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

I agree with Peachy. Also, it just doesn't come naturally for males to live together. In nature, one male lives with a group of girls and they will actively fight and chase off any rival males. In those cases the losing male can usually get away before serious injury. In a tank or cage, this is impossible so serious injury or even death very often occurs. Even if they seem to be getting along very well at the moment.

There are some who do succesfully keep male mice together - at least for a time - but imo, it's not a risk worth taking. Males should be housed alone (with a lot of time with you). Or, if you have a very experienced vet in your area, neutering may be an option for you. But even then males should not be house with other males. The risk of serious fighting still very much exists.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:25 am

Personally, I'd prefer to keep males apart. Nature intended them to have their own territory with their group of females. In the wild they would be agressive with other males. I understand the argument about wanting them to have friends, but I'd rather not risk a fight personally and it seems illogical to go against what nature intended, even in those bred as pets.

However, it ultimately comes down to whether you are happy with the risks. I guess it could also come down to the mice's personalities, but its not something I would encourage anyone to do.

I have only kept a single male mouse, but based on experience from other mice owners who have kept both male and female, you can become your boy mouse's greatest friend - my personal experience of this is is that my mouse gets very excited to hear my voice and we nearly always have a snuggle time just before I go to bed - it seems to be the highlight of his day and when he is happiest.

I was wondering where you are based? I'm in the UK and I have seen male mice advertised as only being sold in pairs or groups. I think there has been more work done on male temperment in the UK, but I still wouldn't want to go against the basic nature of a male mouse!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down