Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Severe aggression in brothers

3 posters

Go down

Severe aggression in brothers Empty Severe aggression in brothers

Post by Rewbie Fri 06 Jan 2017, 11:25 pm

Our first mice.

We got two brothers from Petsmart - Despereaux and Mr. Nibbles. At first Despereaux would sometimes dominate Mr. Nibbles, maybe once a day. Now the tables have turned and Mr. Nibbles attacks Despereaux all the time - severely and without end sometimes. He prevents Despereaux from coming out of the nest to eat and drink. After attacking, Mr. Nibbles is frantically running on the wheel, almost maniacally.

We've had them since just before Christmas. I want to return Mr. Nibbles because being separated from Desperaux increases his frantic wheel running or he digs constantly to get back out of his timeout container. The second we put them together he will launch on Despereaux. Desperaux is quite calm and happy when we remove Mr. Nibbles when we catch his fighting. We fear for Despereaux's safety.

Any advice?

Thank you!!

Rewbie

Back to top Go down

Severe aggression in brothers Empty Re: Severe aggression in brothers

Post by dragonmyst Fri 06 Jan 2017, 11:57 pm

This is very very important, do not keep male mice together in the same cage. They are highly territorial and will severely injure eachother. Even brother's. Female mice absolutely have to be kept together, but male mice cannot. I recommend getting a separate cage or tank for the other. Trust me, they will be much happier by themselves. As far as the excessive wheel running, that is just because he is in a new place. He will calm down in a bit. This thread showcases why male's can't be kept together. https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos
dragonmyst
dragonmyst
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Rewbie Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:20 am

Thank you for the response.

The mouse lady at Petsmart said she preferred boys and that they could be kept together. That's so unfortunate. I was going to get girls.

The wheel running is in his regular cage, so it's not the time out container. We just made his time out container yesterday. Literally that's all I ever see him doing. Like he's crazed. And it started after he started the attacks a week ago.

It's reassuring that separating them won't cause them anxiety - although right now Mr. Nibbles is frantically trying to get out. The times I do see Mr. Nibbles sleeping he is cuddled with Desperaux in the nest. I'm know cats and dogs behavior- not mice. Ugh!

Again, thank you.

Rewbie

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:25 am

As stated above, male mice absolutely cannot be housed together. They must live alone. They might look cute cuddled up together sometimes but that is temporary. They are territorial and therefor must live alone. The best housing for them is a 10 gallon aquarium (each) with a mesh lid. Some mice *really* love their wheels, it's totally normal. I had a make mouse that loved running so much, I put two wheels in his tank. He would go back and forth from the saucer to the mesh wheel all day long!

Sorry the pet store gave you such wrong information... it happens a lot. It's pretty much why this group is here! There is so much misinformation out there about mice.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonmyst Sat 07 Jan 2017, 2:05 am

When I first started keeping mice, I had bad information about keeping male's together as well. It was sheer luck I found an article saying not to do if the day before I got mr. Jingles. But yeah, some mice just really like their wheel. Mr. Jingles had two in his cage as well, and would also run back and forth between them. And every mouse I have had has alwAys been looking for a way to escape Smile that is just normal curiosity.
dragonmyst
dragonmyst
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum