Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brindle gene and obesity?

3 posters

Go down

Brindle gene and obesity? Empty Brindle gene and obesity?

Post by DVirginiana Sun 08 Jan 2017, 6:49 am

I haven't posted anything here in awhile because life has been pretty insane (two jobs, blah) but Sir Spam is still being the sweetest little mouse in the world.
I was wondering though, is it possible for the tendency toward obesity that goes with the brindle gene to show up in mice that only have a broken brindle pattern (like, splotches of brindle on a mostly white body)?
Because Sir Spam looks like a furry little hockey puck. He gets the same diet and exercise that all my other mice have (and they were all a normal size), but he's way fatter than they ever got. He's also much larger than any of his non-brindle brothers were, even though he started out as the runt of the litter.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for something I could do to keep his weight under control? I know it's mostly genetic with mice, but any tips would be appreciated. I've had several mice and been around dozens with my pet store job, and Sir Spam's size is definitely above what would be considered normal or healthy.
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Brindle gene and obesity? Empty Re: Brindle gene and obesity?

Post by Peachy Sun 08 Jan 2017, 7:13 am

Yes! I've had broken brindles get very large, too. The brindle gene is still there, there's just one of the spotting genes also.

I didn't get anything to work with my brindles, and I tried a few things with my Frog because it affected his walking. Brindle pudge just doesn't have anything to do with lack of exercise or too much food. Frog will be two at the end of the month and has started slimming down with his age. Putting mice on a diet isn't advised, but extra fresh foods and exercise couldn't hurt to at least help maintain his weight. If you're really concerned I'd consult a vet.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 08 Jan 2017, 5:56 pm

Ditto what Peachy said. My Willow was a broken brindle who started out as petite little thing and then ballooned out as she matured. Like Peachy's Frog, as she became a senior mouse, the weight started to drop off. Funny thing was, when I first got her none of the brindle marking was apparent: she looked like a broken gray or a broken agouti.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down