Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleeping 14/15 hours a day...is this normal?

+2
AnonONIagent
Fancymouse52
6 posters

Go down

Sleeping 14/15 hours a day...is this normal?  Empty Sleeping 14/15 hours a day...is this normal?

Post by Fancymouse52 Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:44 am

I bought two pet female fancy mice on the 3rd of January 2017 and I have a question, one of my mice, Patches wakes up on average 2 times a day and is up at 8/9pm and goes to sleep about 6/7 am but my other mouse gingernut only wakes up once a day if that and and she wakes up between 10:30 pm and midnight and goes to sleep around 7-9am is this a normal sleep pattern? Sorry I'm just worried and need to know if it's ok?

Also is it normal for gingernut to hide for 30 mins to an hour after I get her out? Patches doesn't do this and I am just very concerned about gingernut?

Are both these warning signs or is it normal and healthy? She does eat and drink as normal it's just the two behaviours I mentioned that concern me?

Thank you, Laura
Fancymouse52
Fancymouse52

Libra Cloud 9

Back to top Go down

Sleeping 14/15 hours a day...is this normal?  Empty Re: Sleeping 14/15 hours a day...is this normal?

Post by AnonONIagent Sun 08 Jan 2017, 3:30 pm

My girls seem to spend more time asleep than awake, so that amount of sleep doesn't seem like an issue to me. As for hiding after playing with you, as long as it seems like she isn't frightened by you otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Sleeping 14/15 hours a day...is this normal?  Empty Re: Sleeping 14/15 hours a day...is this normal?

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 10 Jan 2017, 9:05 am

Mice just sleep as long as they want! Plus they're sometimes awake in their hides but just wanna hang out indoors. As for hiding after playtime, I'd assume she's just calming herself down after her exciting/stressful time out of tank, if she's not used to it.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 11 Jan 2017, 8:12 am

Normal! On average, mice sleep for about 14 hours a day - split up of course - and they are most active in the evenings and early morning and/or at night. Hiding after play time is pretty normal too, I think. Especially since she is still getting used to you and her surroundings.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Wed 11 Jan 2017, 8:23 am

I find that Colin goes through phases - sometimes he'll just sleep and sleep and sleep and want more cuddles and snuggles. Other times he can be like a very tiny whirlwind wanting to explore anywhere he can reach!
I wouldn't worry too much.

RE: the hiding. Colin comes out and part of his favourite games is to find which bits of clothing/blanket/toys/anything he can get underneath or move around. Once he's moved things around as he likes, he'll often hide under it for a while...until I come and disturb him! Its a bit like hide and seek I guess Laughing He seems to feel more comfortable that way though!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 12 Jan 2017, 6:37 pm

Sounds normal to me. Mice just sort of sleep whenever they feel like it and get up whenever they please. Also, it varies from mouse to mouse. You might have one mouse that sleeps all the time and another that is always running on the wheel. Both normal. Also, depending where you live, mice seem to slow down a bit when the weather cools off and the days get shorter. Also worth pointing out, just because they are in their hideaway, doesn't mean they are sleeping. They could be hiding.

It takes a little while for new mice to settle in, it sounds like your little lady might still be a bit nervous/shy. Give her a little time to warm up to you. It doesn't sound like she has any symptoms that would indicate illness. I don't see any reason to be concerned Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum