Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Babies forgot their mother?

2 posters

Go down

Babies forgot their mother? Empty Babies forgot their mother?

Post by Soren Tue 03 May 2016, 8:50 pm

I have four 7 week old girls living with their mother, Usagi. One night I caught Usagi sneezing all over the place, so i immediately quarantined her, and cleaned the cages, thinking it was a respiratory infection. But it was a false alarm. so the next day, i put her back with her daughters. Then they all start chasing and nipping at her like shes an intruder! This was shocking. I was really upset they would do that to her. She was forced to run away, cowering, so i put her back to quarantine. Can mice forget their cage mates within 24 hours? Do they not recognize their mother after shes been with them their whole life? Will i have to re-introduce them like strangers?
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Babies forgot their mother? Empty Re: Babies forgot their mother?

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 03 May 2016, 9:01 pm

That's really strange. Mice can usually be separated for up to two weeks without forgetting about each other. Or at least, they spend two weeks reorganizing the hierarchy due to the missing mouse, so introduction procedures would have to take place when the old mouse is reintroduced even if they remember each other. Perhaps just put them back together in neutral territory and see how that goes?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Tue 03 May 2016, 10:03 pm

Thanks for the tip! I tried what you said (and put them all in a bin).. then put them together in the cage. It seems ok for now... they're not attacking her at the moment. I'm hoping the peace lasts. But I will keep and eye on them.

Thank you!
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum