Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imogene's Palatial Estate

3 posters

Go down

Imogene's Palatial Estate Empty Imogene's Palatial Estate

Post by MesaMouse Tue 17 Jan 2017, 2:03 pm

CallaLily and I were able to snag IRIS Christmas Tree Storage bins to create new large habitats for our hamsters. You've all seen how beautifully CallaLily's finished home for Hamtaro turned out in her Chinese Hamster thread. Now here's how the enormous bin palatial estate for my Syrian ham, Imogene, turned out.

My IRIS bin has a green top (CallaLily's has a red one). Initially I had used screws, nuts and washers on all four sides to fasten the hardware cloth but, boy, was that lid heavy! Taking a page from CallaLily's assembly, I replaced the metal with zipties on the long sides and left the hardware on only the two short sides -- much, much lighter and easier to remove!
Imogene's Palatial Estate Screws%20nuts%20washers%20and%20zipties_zpszc1aipv1

The bin home in place
Imogene's Palatial Estate Imos%20IRIS%20bin%20cage%205_zpsrem5ozsm

A top view showing Imo's new purple Carolina Storm Wheel at the far end
Imogene's Palatial Estate Imos%20IRIS%20bin%20cage%201_zpssx6xjn19

Imo looooves that CSW!
Imogene's Palatial Estate Imo%20on%20the%20CSE_zpsfktvmnjg

I used almost a full 1000cu bag of Clean and Cozy to fill this 48x17 bin to a good depth of bedding. As you can see, Imogene approves of the added depth and has burrowed down for a nap
Imogene's Palatial Estate Imo%20sleeping%20in%20deep%20bedding_zpsrxoykurv

Just a word on the Carolina Storm Wheel: it's absolutely silent!! I was watching Imo run last night while I was spot cleaning a few inches away and there was no sound from the wheel whatsoever, except for the pattering of her feet. There is a website for the Carolina Wheels (carolinastormhedgehogs.com -- there are different models, widths and colors) and the manufacturer (this is a one-man or family operation) also sells on Etsy. This model, the Storm, has a 3.8" wide track and an inside diameter of 10.3". The base of the stand is 11.5" wide and 8.5" deep and the height and tilt of the wheel is adjustable. There are no spindles on the interior or exposed bearings on the back. The price of the wheel was a little less in his Etsy store (shipping the same) so that's where I ordered Imo's from. With USPS Priority 2-day shipping, the total cost of the wheel was just under $33, pricey but totally worth it!

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Imogene's Palatial Estate Empty Re: Imogene's Palatial Estate

Post by scaredymouse Tue 17 Jan 2017, 5:01 pm

i'm so glad you like the CS.... it's by far the best wheel in the world!!!! I wish they made smaller ones. And it's so easy to clean. I just wipe it out, i don't think I've ever had to take it to the sink Smile

That's a pretty great mansion! good job! that thing is huge!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 17 Jan 2017, 7:54 pm

Looks great! I'm going to have to check out those wheels. Thumbs Up

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down