Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about introduction

+2
CallaLily
Curious1
6 posters

Go down

Question about introduction Empty Question about introduction

Post by Curious1 Wed 04 May 2016, 8:25 am

Hi!

Recently I bought two new girls from a breeder and also a bigger tank. I already have three girls and (after quarantaine) my plan was to introduce them to each other and make a group of five. Now one of my new girls, Winnie, is ill. She has trouble with breathing and looks a little shaky. I already have been to a vet with her and got some medicine, but it looks like she might not make it anyway. Sad

My question is: Is it a risk to introduce just one new girl to my other 3? I had deliberately bought two new mice so that they could support each other a little. I don't want them to bully my other new girl Koetje 3 against 1. Is it a better idea to buy one more new mouse first if Winnie dies so Koetje isn't completely on her own with the introduction?

I now have to wait and see if Winnie recovers, but I hope someone has some advice for me already. Since it doesn't look to well and I don't want my other new mouse Koetje to be alone for long.

Taurus Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Question about introduction Empty Re: Question about introduction

Post by CallaLily Wed 04 May 2016, 8:46 am

I don't see why you couldn't introduce the one girl once quarantine is over and then the sick girl later when she's feeling better. It's a little more work for you but I don't think it'll effect their chances of getting along, though I see what you're saying about wanting them to already have a buddy going in to a new situation. But in my experience (which isn't a lot so wait for others to chime in too), prior friendships can be completely disrupted anyway when trying to combine two groups. Twice I've seen it. The first time, I ended up splitting my mice back into two groups but with different pairings!  The second time, they were blood sisters that we're pretty close but then one started picking on the other following another mouse's lead. Eventually it all worked out and they're back to being buddies.

If you do decide on another mouse, make sure you will have the space and everything you need - for 6 mice. She still may get better.  And a new girl will still need to go through quarantine and all that. Honestly adding another right now sounds like more work for you than introducing the two you already have at different times.

Edit: Thinking a bit more... Are the two new girls together?  If they are, I'm wondering if the one not showing symptoms could still be carrying the illness?   It may be recommended you hold off a bit longer, unless they are separated or both were treated? Confused

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Curious1 Wed 04 May 2016, 10:30 am

Thanks for the respond!
The two new girls are indeed together. They are sisters that I bought from the same breeder. Just one of them is showing symptoms of illness. The other one is doing perfectly fine so far and seems to really take care of her sister, grooming her and keeping her warm. But I do want to keep them in quarantaine a bit longer. You are right that there is a chance that the other one is carrying the illnes too.

Taurus Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 04 May 2016, 10:42 am

If the sick one doesn't recover and you really want your new one to have a friend going into introductions, you could introduce one of the three to your lone girl, and then introduce two pairs. But I've introduced single mice to groups without any issues. It'd probably be easier to just try that first.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Curious1 Wed 04 May 2016, 12:23 pm

Its good to hear that introducing a single mouse doesn't have to be a problem.
Winnie her meds don't really seem to get her better. She is lethargic and it looks like she can't open her eyes anymore. Sad

Taurus Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 04 May 2016, 1:12 pm

With proper introduction procedures, you should have no problem introducing a single female to your colony. Just make sure that she isn't showing any signs of illness. There is no point in separating her from her sick sister at this point, she has already been exposed and I'm sure she is a comfort to her sister right now. I would wait to introduce them to colony until either the antibiotics are complete, or if sweet Winnie passes, I would wait a week to make sure the remaining girl is symptom free before introductions.

what antibiotic did they give you for her? is she still eating and drinking? how long has she been on her meds? if she is having trouble breathing, sometimes a humidifier can help. or you could bring the tank in the bathroom and turn the shower on hot. sick mice also appreciate a heating pad, turned on low, under a corner of the tank.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 04 May 2016, 1:33 pm

Might not be helpful - but, just a passing thought. If only one girl is having breathing issues, and not the other, is there any chance that the sick girl is actually suffering from an allergy?

I know that not every mouse will catch a URI, despite them being highly contagious, but I just thought it was worth suggesting.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 04 May 2016, 1:39 pm

Try giving her some KMR, and keep her warm with a heating pad or your own body heat. It might help.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Curious1 Mon 09 May 2016, 6:52 am

Thanks everyone for the respons! Unfortunately Winnie died last thursday despite keeping her warm and the baytril. Sad The breeder felt really sorry for it, so I will get a new young mouse from him next week. If Koetje, Winnie's sister is still doing fine by wednesday I'm going to introduce her to my other girls. I don't want to keep her alone for too long.

Taurus Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 09 May 2016, 7:37 am

I'm sorry to hear about Winnie. Sad It's nice of your breeder to give you a new girl. Hope everything goes well!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum