Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chew Toys

4 posters

Go down

Chew Toys Empty Chew Toys

Post by theo1231231 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 4:44 am

Hello, I know your suppose to give them some chew things for their evergrowing teeth, I usually wrap mouse pellets up in cardboard but am running out of tubes. Im wondering what you guys do for this? I read somewhere that some dog chews are good for mice. If so which brand can you recomend? (Im a UK member) also I assume dog chews/biscuits arent the best because theyl also be getting fed, I have to think of their little waist lines.

Also, one small other unrelated thing, do u guys clean out their beds when cleaning cage once a week? I do but I feel bad disturbing them since theres never any poop in there (probably a silly question but I thought was worth an ask).

Thank you :y
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Chew Toys Empty Re: Chew Toys

Post by CallaLily Wed 18 Jan 2017, 8:22 am

My mice mostly love to chew cardboard but I also provide wooden, loofah, and sisal chews from the pet store. They really like apple or willow sticks. I also mix some block-type food into their seed mix that I'm sure helps with teeth.

I'm not sure what dog biscuits are available to you but I have sometimes offered Milk Bones Healthy Favorites Granola Biscuits and Buddy Biscuits. Just be sure to pay attention to the ingredients. Simple (mouse-safe) ingredients are the way to go. *Note that I believe "Milk Bones" is a completely different dog treat over there compared to the Milk Bone brand here in the U.S. With the U.S. version, I personally wouldn't use their original biscuit. I don't know for sure about the Puppy Milk Flavoured Bones found in the UK.

When I clean my mouse tank every week, I do a full clean. All bedding is replaced, toys washed or replaced as needed, glass wiped down, food dish and water bottle scrubbed.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:18 am

thank you for clarifying all that, thats all useful info Il get some of these peanut butter ones for treats now and then https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloud-Star-Biscuits-Peanut-Butter/dp/B002GPEOGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484756197&sr=8-1&keywords=Buddy+Biscuits
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:43 pm

popsicle sticks and cardboard is all mine ever get to chew besides dog kibble i guess? Flax seeds are ok too cause they have to shell them.

I tried willow sticks and stuff like that before but none of my mice ever liked them. One chewed one once, and that was it he didn't bother chewing any out of the rest of the pack.

Most mice enjoy making new beds. A week is a long time for a mouse.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

We recommend against peanut butter. It's highly allergenic and not very good for them. Give them healthier foods as treats.

For weekly cleanings, you should be cleaning EVERYTHING. Bedding completely changed, dirty/chewed-up toys tossed out, tank scrubbed down. I just rinse the walls with antibacterial soap and hot water. It does the trick and is very economical.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

Okay thank you, I got the apple sticks in the end, I saw them having a little nibble just now Smile
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum