Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food?

3 posters

Go down

Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food? Empty Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food?

Post by MooMouse Wed 25 Jan 2017, 5:52 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried Doctors Foster and Smith's brand of mouse/rat food and your opinions on it. Despite being rat and mouse food, it has only 14% protein. I would mix it with Sun Seed Sunscription Vita Prima Parakeet Food which is what my mice are currently on, which has 13% protein. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Very Happy

Link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10381+25087&pcatid=25087&r=7

Here is the guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein 14.0% min
Crude Fat 4.0% min
Crude Fiber 9.0% max
Moisture 13.0% max
Calcium 0.4% min
Phosphorus 0.3% min
Vitamin A 7,500 IU/kg min
Vitamin D3 900 IU/kg min
Vitamin E 65 IU/kg min
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4% min
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.04% min

Also the ingredients (I might end up picking out some of the corn):

Ingredients: Milo, Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Whole Corn, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Steel-Cut Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Oats, Peanuts, Carob Pods, Flaked Peas, Heat-Processed Soybeans, Raisins, Trapper Peas, Steam-Rolled Oats, Puffed Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Dehydrated Banana, Ground Wheat, Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Calcium Carbonate, Ground Flax Seed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ground Oat Groats, Salt, L-Lysine, Vegetable Oil, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Algae Meal, Yeast Culture, Ground Steam-Rolled Oats, DL-Methionine, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Torula Dried Yeast, Yucca schidigera Extract, Fructooligosaccharide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Color Added (Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40, Titanium Dioxide).

Thank you!
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food? Empty Re: Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 25 Jan 2017, 5:58 pm

The analysis looks good to me, but personally I don't like the ingredients. The peanuts and raisins would have to be picked out, and I don't like that there is so much corn. But that's just my opinion.

Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food? Empty Re: Doctors Foster and Smith Mouse/Rat Food?

Post by CallaLily Wed 25 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm

I agree with @AnonymousMouseOwner. The GA is ok, though fat is a little low, and the ingredients aren't very good. A lot of corn and only 8 whole ingredients (not counting raisins and peanuts).

What is the parakeet food's GA and at what amounts (by weight) would you be adding of each food? What is the F&S food adding to the parakeet food for you?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Thu 26 Jan 2017, 8:34 am

CallaLily wrote:I agree with @AnonymousMouseOwner. The GA is ok, though fat is a little low, and the ingredients aren't very good.  A lot of corn and only 8 whole ingredients (not counting raisins and peanuts).

What is the parakeet food's GA and at what amounts (by weight) would you be adding of each food?  What is the F&S food adding to the parakeet food for you?  

The parakeet food GA is this:
Protein: 13%
Fat: 5%
Fiber: 10%
Moisture: 12%

I would probably mix 1lb. Parakeet food with 1lb. Mouse/Rat food. I'm looking to add some sort of mouse pellet or lab block to their mix for more variety and to make sure that they are getting all of the nutrients that they need. But Anonymous made a good point with the peanuts and raisins needing to be picked out, so I'm leaning away from this food at this point. Oh well, I guess I'll just continue my search for an okay lab block!
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm

I use Supreme Science Selective mouse to supplement my seed mix, but I order it from the UK and I know that's not something everyone is able to do. I believe CinnamonPearl found Supreme Science Selective rat for sale online in the U.S. but I don't remember from where.  That works too.  Another U.S. block food option that would work to supplement a mouse's diet is Oxbow Adult Rat.

Mixing those seed mixes at those amounts would give you 13.5% crude protein, 4.5% fat, 9.5% fiber. But it sounds like you've decided against it.  Not complaining there. Doesn't look like it would really add much for you anyway.

I'm sorry I'm replying so late. I somehow missed a few posts and replies from weeks ago. Confused

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down