Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own?

5 posters

Go down

Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own? Empty Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own?

Post by Kate B Fri 27 Jan 2017, 3:17 pm

I saw these foraging cups on Amazon and thought they looked like a good idea.  

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Hideaway-Snack-Cups-Chinchillas/dp/B01KY3MH12/ref=sr_1_10?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1485551312&sr=1-10&keywords=foraging+cups

Has anyone used these?  Are they good?

I'm also thinking I'd like to make something like this myself at home for my mice.  Like little packages to hide treats in, to feed their foraging instincts.  I have some ideas of what to wrap the treats in, but I'm wondering if there are things I should look out for and not use, or if anyone has tips on things that are good to use.  

Like string - can I use yarn?  Thread?  Or is that dangerous?  One idea I had was wrapping a treat in toilet paper or paper towel and tying it with string.  Is that okay?

And is there any kind of tape that's safe?  Like could I tape together cardboard around a treat and put it in their cage?  Probably not scotch tape.  Maybe painter's tape?  Or no?

And any other suggestions or words of warning welcome. Thank you!

Kate B

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own? Empty Re: Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own?

Post by Peachy Fri 27 Jan 2017, 3:32 pm

Those look neat! You could probably make something similar yourself. Maybe paper cups.. glue two together? I've also seen something made out of a toilet paper tube with the ends folded in. Then you could tie a string around it and hang it up.

Safe strings are hemp, sisal, jute... fleece yarn is safe but other yarns break up too much so it's dangerous to swallow. There's also a risk of nails getting caught.
No tape is safe, but non-toxic school glue, craft glue, or hot glue is safe to use.

In the DIY subforum of Mouse Products, there's plenty of foraging ideas! Check out the Totally Free Toys thread for pictures of something similar to what you were talking about with the paper towels. We call them piñatas. Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own? Empty Re: Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own?

Post by CallaLily Fri 27 Jan 2017, 4:03 pm

I put these little foraging cups together for my first group of girls. (Sorry for the bad pic)
Foraging Cups - like these, or make your own? Tempor12
Little terracotta pots were from dollar tree (3 to a pack), wooden disks from Michael's, and jute rope. Paper, cardboard, coconut shell, safe wood, or even very hard plastic cups would all work.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate B Fri 27 Jan 2017, 5:03 pm

Thanks, Peachy! That's great information. And I'm glad I asked, because I would have guessed wrong on some of those things (like the glue and the tape, I would have guessed opposite). I'll go check out the foraging ideas and the pinatas. Smile

And CallaLily, I love that! Thanks for the idea.

Kate B

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:40 pm

I do treat packs for my girls. Sometimes I make little pinatas out of paper towels. Just put treats in the middle and wrap them up with same string (hemp/sisal/etc)- they und up looking like cute little ghosts. Then I hang them from the lid. Also you could use a toilet paper roll- just fold one end, put some treats in the middle and fold the other end. Super easy and free!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Sat 04 Feb 2017, 2:28 am

Hey I make those little pinatas too! My girls love them. Devour them within the first few minutes. I'm trying to think of how to make them last longer, cause they rip it open and eat it all within just a few minutes!

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum