Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troubles

5 posters

Go down

Troubles Empty Troubles

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 14 Feb 2017, 11:37 pm

Scout just bit me again, this time extremely hard and it still hurts. It stung really bad. I had him in my hand, and he tail rattled, then bit me as hard as he possibly could. It's getting to the point where I know he hates my attention, and I am afraid he's going to bite me all the time. Does handling him really do either of us any good? He seems to hate me just sitting by his tank, he tail rattles at me just walking around the room! When I fill his food dish he warns me by tail rattling. I just don't know what to do about handling him.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Troubles Empty Re: Troubles

Post by stephlisa Wed 15 Feb 2017, 6:53 am

You could try wearing thick gloves while handling him, ones that if he bit you it wouldn't hurt and you therefore wouldn't react and he'd realise it doesn't solve anything.

I wonder why he doesn't like being handled though.  It must be so lonely to be a pet boy mouse without a human companion or two.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 15 Feb 2017, 8:17 am

Was this in or near his tank? If so, does he act the same way outside of his tank? Some mice can be pretty territorial but once they're in a more neutral play space they're just fine. What size is his tank?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 15 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm

CallaLily wrote:Was this in or near his tank?  If so, does he act the same way outside of his tank?  Some mice can be pretty territorial but once they're in a more neutral play space they're just fine.  What size is his tank?
I was sitting on a chair with him in the middle of the room. His tank was several feet away. He acts like this everywhere now, it used to be just his tank but he's gotten worse about it. I'm pretty sure his tank is a 20 gallon tall.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 15 Feb 2017, 12:55 pm

I know we already went through his territorial behaviors in a previous thread so I won't get into that again. I would just get some thick gloves and handle him as usual. It'll peach him off for a bit but it'll show him that you're the boss and that biting won't get him his way. When he stops biting the glove you can try taking it off again.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 15 Feb 2017, 1:14 pm

Peachy wrote:I know we already went through his territorial behaviors in a previous thread so I won't get into that again.

Oops, I didn't realize there was another thread. Sorry if I was repeating questions that were already asked. Embarassed

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 15 Feb 2017, 1:40 pm

Ee, I wasn't trying to cut you off or anything. lol She asked a while ago, but none of my ideas were the right ones. Razz Maybe you can think of something that'll work.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 15 Feb 2017, 4:17 pm

I agree with the gloves. I have made good progress with chompers wearing gloves. Sometimes you just get a bratty mouse. I once had a mouse named Penny. She was my scaredy mouse. She started off scared and then turned into a brat. She was a tail rattling, squinty eyed, aggressive, bitey, jerk face. I had to work really hard with her. It took a long time but one day everything changed and we because the best of friends. She was my heart mouse and I was her heart human. It was hard to believe that she was the same mouse I brought home from the pet store.

Don't give up on him. He's not scared, he's a brat. You need to show him who's boss.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 25 Feb 2017, 2:13 am

Hahahaha. So, I bought some heavy duty leather work gloves and put my hand in the tank. Scout tail rattled at me several times, bit the glove probably about 5 times really hard, then gave up. He started to sniff me with his eyes closed, then ran and hid. Laughing I think this is going to work.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 25 Feb 2017, 6:29 am

excellent! show that little brat who's boss!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 07 Mar 2017, 10:06 pm

We had a lot of fun today! I put my hand in (With the gloves on), and he ran around the cage like crazy, my hand followed him and petted him. He'd occasionally stop and sniff my hand with squinty eyes. Then he ran really fast on his wheel as if he thought he was running away from me. After that, we had a tail rattling contest. I think he won. He tail rattled at me and I "tail" rattled back at him with my finger. And we continued that until we both got tired of it. Then he ran into his hide and piled up bedding in front so that I couldn't get to him. What a fun day! Applause

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 08 Mar 2017, 1:42 am

Lol, sounds like a good time to me. When I have mice like that, I corner them in the tank and force them to get on my hand and just hold them while they give me stink eye. Neither of us enjoy it but it lays the groundwork for a relationship. After a few times, then I start petting and then move on to the bathtub or boxes to play "I pick them up, I put them down" and go from there.

It's a good thing he's cute Smile

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum