Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bothered by a message i got

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

bothered by a message i got Empty bothered by a message i got

Post by scaredymouse Fri 03 Mar 2017, 5:35 pm

A rescue I work with called me about a boy mouse that needs a home. He's a year old and has goopy eyes and is grooming a lot. But the lady wants to surrender him because she doesn't want her 5 year old son to see something bad happen to him. Sure, I sympathize with the mom, it's human nature to want to protect them from everything bad in the world. But you can't. And it makes my blood boil that she has chosen to teach her son that mice are disposable and if animals get sick, you can just dump them off somewhere and someone else will deal with it. This would have been such a great opportunity to teach him about responsibility, commitment, unconditional love and dying (which is natural). I wish I could get that mouse and bring him home. I bet the only thing wrong with him is that his cage is dirty and he has mites Sad

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

bothered by a message i got Empty Re: bothered by a message i got

Post by CallaLily Fri 03 Mar 2017, 7:57 pm

Poor mouse! Sad

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 03 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm

Right?! So the rescue took him to the vet and the plan is to treat an eye infection both topically and orally. And I agreed to to b care for him for 2 weeks and administer meds. The lady apparently wanted to keep him and does care about him, but can't do the meds. So, I'll do my best to fix him up. AND you can bet your butt that I will have a gentle conversation about "what a great opportunity to teach your son about unconditional love and the death process".

Sigh. Rescue is tricky business. Sometimes it's better to teach than to take. She can always give him up later but once she lets go... She can't have him back.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 04 Mar 2017, 7:36 am

I'm so glad to hear that you and the rescue are able to help. Teaching moment for the child and the mom. Hopefully they both will learn something!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 04 Mar 2017, 9:10 am

I'm meeting her in a couple hours, I hope it goes well. I can't help but worry that she will change he mind again and decide she doesn't want him back. Or if he doesn't improve, she won't want him back. And I'll be forced to keep him because if will love him already!

As you recall, I *literally* just finished my critter room. It it's packed full. There is no room for even one mouse! Plus I already have 5 boys!

Sigh. Fingers crossed everything goes well! My hubby is gonna be so displeased if I end up keeping this mouse!

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 04 Mar 2017, 9:18 am

Does she at least keep him in an exceptable cage/tank? Hopefully she'll take him back or someone else in your area can step up and help if she doesn't. Let us know how the meeting goes.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 04 Mar 2017, 9:25 am

I will be discussing all that will her today. I'll swap emails so I can keep her updates and answer questions. We'll see!

I suspect is all wrong. But I'll have him for 2 weeks, so I'll ease into it and see if we can remedy everything by them.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Mar 2017, 2:58 am

My mouse guest is a sweetheart. And I think his owner cares about him. This poor mouse is really sick though and he's got OCD. He has a couple significant wounds and his eyes are among the worst I've seen. For whatever reason, I think he got OCD and then his wounds got infected. Also, the main ingredients in his food are peanuts and striped sunflower seeds. So, obviously I'm giving him all his meds but I'm also enriching the heck out of his environment and he's getting lots of mandatory lovin'. Weird thing though, he is really hot. When he sits on my bare shoulder, his body is hot, hot, hot. I can only imagine he has a fever which is a bad sign. I've held a lot of mice but never a mouse that I was conscious of being so hot.

Wish us luck! He was brought into my life for a reason, I really hope that reason is to help him get better.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 06 Mar 2017, 6:55 am

I hope he heals. Poor little guy.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by GGMouseCare Tue 11 Apr 2017, 6:07 pm

That is quite a story! What's his name? A mouse going through that much deserves a special name....
GGMouseCare
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 11 Apr 2017, 6:42 pm

His name is Charlie. He has since got himself a girlfriend (a multimammate mouse). Since she's a different species, they can't reproductive. And he's started on Prozac! He's slowly recovering ❤

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by GGMouseCare Tue 11 Apr 2017, 6:53 pm

Lovely! He sounds amazing, and I have a great friend named Charlie.
Wishing the best for you, GGMouseCare.
GGMouseCare
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 12 Apr 2017, 8:00 am

scaredymouse wrote:His name is Charlie.  He has since got himself a girlfriend (a multimammate mouse).  Since she's a different species, they can't reproductive.  And he's started on Prozac!  He's slowly recovering ❤

Please keep us updated with how this works out for him. Sounds like a great start!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 12 Apr 2017, 8:30 am

His poor little eyes are so damaged but one of them is starting to look better finally!  I got pictures yesterday.

They are both bright and clear and less swollen but the right one is left one is still a bit red.  I had to wait for him to stop messing with them before I could start giving him the antibiotic drops again.  OCD mice don't do well with drops in their eyes, they just mess with them more!

Anyway, they are far from great but I think they are looking better.  He looks super cute though, his eyes look gigantic.  And his girlfriend doesn't mind at all, lol.  She loves him for what's on the inside... and Charlie is a tender-hearted gentleman. But I think he's also very handsome <3

bothered by a message i got Wp_20231

bothered by a message i got Wp_20232

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 12 Apr 2017, 9:09 am

Awww. I think they look less swollen then they were in the last picture I saw. The one looks a lot better.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum