Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Should II Do?

4 posters

Go down

What Should II Do? Empty What Should II Do?

Post by essentiallysue Sat 04 Mar 2017, 7:21 pm

Betty is my old mouse. The longest living one of four original mice. She was always a good mouse and loved her roommates. But after the 3rd one passed away in January, I bought her another young mouse. They have lived together for quite some time. My concern is that the younger one chases her away quite frequently. There are no injuries, but I don't like her treated that way. The original four never chased each other, and were happy. I have given these two many facinating things to do and climb on but the new one continues to be a bully. If I were to get another one, (who would be young, too), I am afraid they would both pick on my older one. They do sleep together and seem at times to be compatible, but not like ole Betty is used to. Any advice?

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

What Should II Do? Empty Re: What Should II Do?

Post by CallaLily Sun 05 Mar 2017, 7:42 am

A third girl may balance things out more. Right now you've got an alpha with only one mouse to boss around. Adding another should take some of the attention off of your poor old gal. Though, as you know there are no guarantees and there's always a chance it won't work out. But it usually does.

What is she being chased from? A specific toy/house or the food dish? Or is it just random?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 05 Mar 2017, 6:38 pm

I know what you mean about just not liking the treatment of an older mouse.  I have a rambunctious young female, in a group if 4, she chases and humps my older female and makes her squeak loudly.  No blood, but it's not the life I imagined for her!  Adding another mouse may or may not help... Its impossible to know.  

What size tank are they in?
How old is Betty?
Do you want to continue your female colony?

Last edited by scaredymouse on Sun 05 Mar 2017, 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : i hate my phone)

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 05 Mar 2017, 9:21 pm

Thank you for your understanding. These two are in a large bin about 18 by 27 inches. I have various houses, sitting stations, chew boxes and two wheels. The others were very happy in these arrangements. I change their environment regularly so they don't get bored. The little squirt, Lily, seems to think she owns the new stuff coming in. Betty seems to prefer her sitting stations where she grooms herself. She eats well, gets to the food bowl when Lily is asleep. Lily has been emptying the food bowl at night and taking the food to her preferred sleeping place. I feed them twice daily, giving them veggies, baby food chicken and other goodies.
Yes, I have three in another bin cage of the same size. They were sisters when I got them and get along peacefully. Lily will probably go there after Betty passes away. Betty is nearing 2, but healthy and runs on her wheel, etc.
When the other three in the other bin arrived, one of them, the alpha mouse, got her eye plucked out. I treated it and she is doing well with just one eye. She is the friendliest one. I don't want to put them all together because she might have to vie for her position and lose the other eye.  So that's the situation.
Betty doesn't have any battle scars. I just want her to be happy, too.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Mar 2017, 2:40 am

I see. Well, I think you are probably best keeping things the way they are. I'm sure that's not the answer you were looking for... but if you get a new female, the dynamic may not change in Betty's favor. If they are still snuggling together for sleeps and Betty doesn't seem frightened...I personally wouldn't chance it, considering all the variables. But I completely understand your predicament. I felt the same way when my new young female would be so rough with my elderly mouse. I would just cringe. But in the end, I didn't do anything. My poor elderly mouse got chased and humped in her golden years, but at least she wasn't harmed or sad or scared.

*sigh* Female mice are really something.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 06 Mar 2017, 6:49 am

I still feel like there's a real chance adding a third girl could help. As I already said, no guarantees, but imo it's worth trying. Since you have the other 3, you could try merging the two groups. If it doesn't work out, then separate them again. If those two were living peacefully together, I would agree about not bothering at all.

Another thing that might help would be to try a smaller space. Again, no guarantees.

Just my opinion. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:38 am

I did something very strange last night, never done before. When Lily started her chasing Betty and being possessive over their houses, before I went to bed, I took everything out of the cage and left them with their deep shredded newspaper, two wheels, and two little sitting houses. I watched until I fell asleep. There was no chasing or squeeking. Eventually, they went to sleep in the soft bedding.
This morning they were up for breakfast, and I fed them well. I put back their precious houses, ladder, and chew box. They were thrilled. They ate, went in their boxes together, didn't fight, and eventually selected their bed and went to sleep. What did I teach them??? I don't know.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Mar 2017, 12:19 pm

Lol. Such complicated little things. You could also try simply giving Lily a time out for bad behavior. She may realize how much she misses her friend and be nicer to her.

I wish the was something we could tell you that would just solve your problem but it's all trial and error with things like this.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Tue 07 Mar 2017, 7:21 am

Guess what!!! No chasing and squeeking all night. Still behaving this morning. Did I teach them something?? I hope it holds,.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Tue 07 Mar 2017, 8:02 am

Sounds like you taught them to get along by taking away some things that they might have been getting possessive over!
I hope it works out for you!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 07 Mar 2017, 8:09 am

I'm glad it's working out now! Sometimes removing the things they're being possesive over does help. I hope things continue to go well for them.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 07 Mar 2017, 8:26 am

What weirdos! Maybe the just got such in a routine and that small change that you made snapped then out if it. Glad it's continuing to work. If Lily starts acting up again, try it again. And if it didn't work, maybe try some of the small changes listed above. Mice are so funny...

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum