Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food bowl or scatter feed?

5 posters

Go down

Food bowl or scatter feed?  Empty Food bowl or scatter feed?

Post by AllThingsGeeky Sat 18 Mar 2017, 7:32 pm

Greetings! I was looking at my future mouse setup (a ten gal) and as I filled it up with toys it got crowded quick and a food bowl seemed way too bulky to fit in so I was wondering if one was really necessary. I plan on getting a trio. I know scatter feeding is great for hamsters but what about mice?
Sorry if this question is obvious, but I'm trying to confirm everything before I get them. ^^'
AllThingsGeeky
AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Food bowl or scatter feed?  Empty Re: Food bowl or scatter feed?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 18 Mar 2017, 8:37 pm

I personally don't like scatter feeding. It is very hard to keep track of how much food the mice have, and they should always have unlimited food. They eat a lot. I made a food bowl holder/hide for my girls' ten gallon, here's how it looks:
Food bowl or scatter feed?  Mice_c12
Food bowl or scatter feed?  Mice_c13

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:11 am

I don't care for scatter feeding either, though I do scatter treats. But it's definitely doable if you prefer that feeding method, just harder to monitor. Smile

Btw, welcome to the forum!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 20 Mar 2017, 4:01 pm

I do a bit of both. I think the girls really prefer scatter feeding, keeps them busy, and it's fun.
I fill the bowl halfway and scatter feed the rest. I make sure the bowl is halfway full at all times, though, so it's definitely not saving any space...oh well. Either method is generally considered fine, though, but it's true that if you 100% scatter feed you can't keep track of their diet quite as much.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 20 Mar 2017, 8:18 pm

Welcome to the forum!! Mouse Wave

I do both, depending on the mice. My boy mice tend to be neat about their food, but I scatter feed for my girls because they're fantastic at kicking everything out of the bowl, whether it's raised off the floor or not. It's usually easy enough for me to tell when it's time to drop some more food in, but I've never been super worried about wasting food at the end of the week. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum