Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Choosing A New Mouse Wheel

3 posters

Go down

Choosing A New Mouse Wheel Empty Choosing A New Mouse Wheel

Post by stephlisa Thu 23 Mar 2017, 7:32 am

Okay, so some silly person (**cough** that might have been me... **cough cough**) dropped Colin's amazing comfort wheel and it has cracked.  I'm not going to risk any injuries and so I'm looking at options and would like some opinions/advice.  He has a spare one which came which the cage (which is definitely big enough) but he doesn't like it and it doesn't run smoothly at all and is generally cheap, cheerful and not very useful.  But it's better than nothing right now.

I could:
A) Get one exactly the same because I know he likes it (one of these to be precise (in the medium size which is 19cm (~7 1/2 inch): http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet-exercise-wheel-small )

B) Try out a bigger size of Flying Saucer (currently I own a 5inch which he definitely doesn't like - what size is recommended?) because I like that it gives him a more natural running position, downside is that if he doesn't like the small one, will he like a larger one?

or

C) Try out a mesh wheel such as this one (22cm diameter) because I've always thought they look more fun for mice and they're open on both sides which seems slightly safer to me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-61002-Running-Wheel-Close-Knit/dp/B000V6HG8C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490270904&sr=8-2&keywords=mesh+wheel

Currently I'm more inclined with options A and C, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on wheels?  I know this comes up a lot, but I'm feeling indecisive and want more advice.

(Edited to add: I already know that I don't want a silent spinner, that I've already decided.

Last edited by stephlisa on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a sentence)

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Choosing A New Mouse Wheel Empty Re: Choosing A New Mouse Wheel

Post by scaredymouse Thu 23 Mar 2017, 10:54 am

I've never seen a mouse not like a big ol mesh wheel. I love then. All my mice have them. Some mice also get a 6" saucer but they *all* get a mesh wheel. Technically the advantage to having a saucer is that it is a more natural running surface but when your mesh wheel is 8"... That is also pretty close to natural. I would pick mesh.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Thu 23 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

So what's quite funny is that I've been talking to my husband about what to choose he said "just get both because they aren't that expensive and let Colin choose."

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 23 Mar 2017, 2:02 pm

Yay! That would be my vote, if doable - to get one of each to offer. I've had mice that preferred one type of wheel over another and mice that loved them all. Celyn and Rina used to prefer a solid wheel (the silent spinner in my case) but they've outgrown it just a tiny bit so I don't really offer it anymore. Hazel has always loved the mesh wheels more and some of my past mice preferred the saucer.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 23 Mar 2017, 3:39 pm

Well, that's just adorable. Both is always better than one! I love letting my mice pick out their favorite stuff, I don't know why but it delights me when they have clear preferences. When I get a new mouse, I usually give them playtime with a bunch of toys and send them home with their favorite at the end.

Yay, let Colin choose!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 24 Mar 2017, 12:32 pm

It is adorable - he's normally the more thifty of the two of us! I'm definitely going to get both and give Colin the choice. I'm also planning to rig an odometer up to whichever is his preferred to see how far he runs!!

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Wed 29 Mar 2017, 8:43 am

So Colin now has two shiny new wheels in his cage - woohoo! Smile
I put them in last night, and honestly, you would have thought it was Christmas for him - he was so excited!
He started off on his almost like-for-like 19cm comfort wheel (the only difference is that its a transparent pink colour rather than clear plastic - but nevermind, I didn't mind what colour we got) and enjoyed running on that for a while, then he discovered the slightly bigger (22cm) mesh wheel and became addicted. It seems to be much easier for him to run on it at speed, but starting and stopping were very entertaining. We'll see what happens over the week, but he's definitely enjoying that mesh wheel!

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 29 Mar 2017, 10:00 am

For my more active boys, I just keep 2 wheels in their tanks if there is room. My boy Goose used to jump back and forth between his mesh wheel and his saucer, all day long.

I'm glad Colin is enjoying himself! I love to see them happy Smile

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum