Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nipping!

2 posters

Go down

Nipping! Empty Nipping!

Post by AllThingsGeeky Mon 03 Apr 2017, 4:23 pm

As I've started to tame my boys I've noticed that little Oliver likes to nip me. I've been doing the method of putting my hand in his tank, with a treat, and waiting for him to crawl onto my hand. He has no issues with this,but he tends to curiously nibble me. It hurts, but there's no blood or anything, and I flinch every time. I read that male mice tend to be more territorial so since he wasn't afraid I scooped him out of the tank for a moment and let him crawl around on my hands. Not a single nip! Is this normal behavior? I don't want to rush things with taming by instantly putting him in a new environment, but I don't want to get bitten either. Undecided
What do you think, and what are your experiences with feisty boys?

AllThingsGeeky
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Nipping! Empty Re: Nipping!

Post by scaredymouse Mon 03 Apr 2017, 4:44 pm

Yep, normal. It's also good practice to not hand feed until they are fully tame for this very reason. The behavior should go away, especially since he's already showing good behavior outside the cage. He'll learn than your hand means exciting adventures instead of food.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum