Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding yellow mice

2 posters

Go down

Feeding yellow mice Empty Feeding yellow mice

Post by sweetlings Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:28 pm

I've seen a few threads around with some helpful info about how much to feed mice, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on specifically feeding yellow girls? As I understand it, yellow mice are much more prone to obesity and boy, do my girls love to eat! I have two yellow and one black and white, and as soon as I fill up the food dish, the yellow girls will sit in there and eat until its empty (though the black and white girl still eats -I keep a close eye to make sure she doesn't miss out). The yellow girls are starting to get a little pudgy, but i was under the impression that I should keep the food bowl full and they'll self regulate. Is this not the case for all mice? Any thoughts on frequency of feeding would be much appreciated!

Edited to add that the yellow girls had brindle siblings in their litter - leading me to believe they possibly carry the brindle obesity gene. That, and the fact that they're much chubbier than their black and white cagemate!
sweetlings
sweetlings
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Feeding yellow mice Empty Re: Feeding yellow mice

Post by CallaLily Fri 14 Apr 2017, 10:34 am

Yes, mice that are genetically brindle tend towards obesity. But not due to overeating. It's genetic so strictly regulating their food won't help and could risk their health in other ways. What's recommended is to keep providing ways to keep them active. Plenty of climbing activities and outside of the tank play time. Also, you could increase their fresh foods a bit, but do so slowly. It's recommended to give mice fresh veggies/fruit/proteins at least twice a week, but you can give small amounts daily -so long as it doesn't interfere with their main food. A grain/seed mix supplemented with insects should always be the bulk of their diet, as that's what's most natural for them.

There's a list stickied in this section with some safe food ideas to get you started, as well as a few that should be avoided. Though I always like to mention that this list is far from complete and some things are listed under avoid simply because I couldn't find any definite answers on it's safety.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum