Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think she's mad at me

3 posters

Go down

I think she's mad at me Empty I think she's mad at me

Post by Mirabelle Sun 16 Apr 2017, 11:54 am

I've noticed one of my mice stopping at the opening of their tunnel and sniffing around on her hind feet and rattling her tail. I've read that the tail shaking is a sign of agitation or aggression, but it also almost seems like she's just looking around like she's coming out of a burrow and seeing if the coast is clear.
Thoughts?
Mirabelle
Mirabelle
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

I think she's mad at me Empty Re: I think she's mad at me

Post by GGMouseCare Sun 16 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm

Ok, I did some research. When mice stand up on their hind legs, that usually means they are observing/sniffing something that caught their attention, or that they are preparing to fight. Since you said she was wagging her tail, that means she is agitated and starting to get angry. That supports the reason for why the mouse might be upset. That could mean a possible fight between your mice, but I doubt it. However, just in case, observe your mice for a few days to see if they are getting along. If a fight happens, (and/or one gets injured) separate them immediately. I suppose they are females? If they aren't, WATCH OUT.
GGMouseCare
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GGMouseCare Sun 16 Apr 2017, 2:06 pm

Also, watch the ears. When one of my mice is acting up, I observe their ears. If they'd are down, that means they're angry. If her ears are up while the other behavior is happening, then maybe something around the cage is making her nervous, or scared. Mice act strange when they feel insecure. I hope you find a solution!
Wishing you the best, Greek Girls Mouse Care
GGMouseCare
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirabelle Sun 16 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

GGMouseCare wrote:Also, watch the ears. When one of my mice is acting up, I observe their ears. If they'd are down, that means they're angry. If her ears are up while the other behavior is happening, then maybe something around the cage is making her nervous, or scared. Mice act strange when they feel insecure. I hope you find a solution!
Wishing you the best, Greek Girls Mouse Care

Yes, they are both girls. I don't think it's about the other mouse because she's often times at the other end of the cage asleep or in the wheel when the one mouse does it. Her ears are forward not back, and that with the sniffing and looking around makes me think it's an on alert thing not an aggression thing.
The cage is near a window, she could be smelling outside? It is open a lot cuz we dont have ac.
Mirabelle
Mirabelle
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 16 Apr 2017, 3:41 pm

This is not uncommon for new mice.  Mice don't see well and they are in a new environment with new sounds and smells and they need a little time to get used to things.  Tail rattling is a little warning, sort of like when a cat hisses.  They do it when they are scared or mad, and they will do it to each other or to people.  Most mice stop when they settle in but sometimes they will still do it from time to time.  I kinda think it's adorable.  Here is this tiny mouse standing up to a gigantic person instead of just running away... So brave!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirabelle Sun 16 Apr 2017, 4:25 pm

scaredymouse wrote:This is not uncommon for new mice.  Mice don't see well and they are in a new environment with new sounds and smells and they need a little time to get used to things.  Tail rattling is a little warning, sort of like when a cat hisses.  They do it when they are scared or mad, and they will do it to each other or to people.  Most mice stop when they settle in but sometimes they will still do it from time to time.  I kinda think it's adorable.  Here is this tiny mouse standing up to a gigantic person instead of just running away... So brave!

They have only been with me for about 2 weeks, that's probably it. I'll keep being patient with them while they warm up to me!
Mirabelle
Mirabelle
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum