Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

obsessive mouse

2 posters

Go down

obsessive mouse  Empty obsessive mouse

Post by liammylove13 Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:21 am

Hello everyone,
My Fannie is an obsessive groomer, I have done the diet changes and I have treated for mites with the ivermectin, I've also had her to the vet multiple times and treated for the open sores she gives herself. She actually gets benedryl regularly added to her water bottle. I also regularly use triple antibiotic on the sores to keep them from getting worse but I don't know what else to do. I freeze small portions of the bedding before I use it to kill any potential allergens in it. I am out of ideas and she is still making herself bleed on a regular basis. The weird thing is she just developed this issue about 6 months ago randomly out of the blue. Does anyone have any other tips on what I could do? I'm learning it is very, very difficult to find useful information about pet mice.
Thanks so much

liammylove13

Back to top Go down

obsessive mouse  Empty Re: obsessive mouse

Post by River Mon 17 Apr 2017, 5:24 pm

So sorry about Fannie! Worry

It's weird that a vet would recommend putting anything in her water. It's generally not a good thing to do, as they can despise the taste and eventually just avoid water bottles (and thus, drinking) altogether. Is this vet an exotics vet experienced in mouse care?

Does Fannie have any cage-mates? What's the size of her cage (in square inches)? Can you show a photo or tell us what toys are in her cage? Have you checked to see if it might be an allergy (bedding change, removal of wood toys, food change?)
Speaking of food..what food is she eating?

Sorry for so many questions! I think they'll help all of us to give advice on helping her.

I really hope she'll feel better soon. This forum probably saved my mouses life when she was scratching excessively due to allergies, hopefully we can be of help to you too.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum