Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some questions for a natural cage theme!

4 posters

Go down

Some questions for a natural cage theme! Empty Some questions for a natural cage theme!

Post by antant26 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:45 pm

I was at the pet store today and considered buying some pet grass for my cat, but then I realized the label said it was also good for small animals. And it got me thinking, what if I put this in my mouse cage? I'm planning to house my mice in a 20 gal high tank (that's very heavy by the way) and there is enough height to allow me to plant the pet grass in a corner, as a sort of garden patch area.

So my questions are:
Is the pet grass safe for mice? As in, are there any pesticides or herbicides I should be concerned about?
Is moist dirt an ok substrate in the corner of a tank, if surrounded by popsicle sticks? Or I could make a planter out of popsicle sticks and then stick the grass in there. I really want my natural setup to be over-the-top amazing, so my mice may enjoy it. Any other ideas if this won't work?

For bedding: I'm thinking maybe hay over aspen. Is that too crazy? The mouse I have now was kept on cedar in her old home with minimal skin damage or respiratory issues, so she shouldn't be allergic like my last mouse Salem was. Note: I am no longer keeping her on cedar. I threw it out ASAP and replaced it with purple clean and cozy.

How do I apply sealant to wood toys like little houses? I already have a big bucket of sealant that was recommended on the last forum, I'm just not 100% sure how to put it on. I'm scared it'll stick to everything, basically. Razz Is a foam brush ok?

Thank you very much everyone, I hope to hear your feedback soon!

antant26
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Elated

Back to top Go down

Some questions for a natural cage theme! Empty Re: Some questions for a natural cage theme!

Post by CallaLily Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:51 pm

Yes, the grass sold for pets is safe. However, I recommend putting it in some kind of container so you can give it a break from the mice once in a while, to give it a good water and a chance for some light.

Some mice develop allergies to aspen, but if she doesn't it's fine.

I'm pretty sure you just brush it on and allow to try thoroughly. There should be directions on the bucket. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Some questions for a natural cage theme! Empty Re: Some questions for a natural cage theme!

Post by antant26 Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:35 am

Ok thanks! Just ordered some natural toys on Amazon, and I'll seal the wooden toys I have now outside on Sunday, which I for once have free. Thanks for your help! I'll get pet grass and make a popsicle stick planter then. Smile Any brand ordered off of Amazon ok?

antant26
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightningpython Sat 29 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm

Do you know what species this grass is? I'm just wondering if i can buy some for my little rescue mouse in the UK.

1 Whip Scorpion
1 Assassin bug
1Tortoise
1Parrot
1 Dog
+A wild mouse
Lightningpython
Lightningpython

Back to top Go down

Post by antant26 Sun 07 May 2017, 8:52 pm

The grass is wheatgrass. Hope your little guy is doing well!

Finally got around to cracking out the water-based sealant, and surprise surprise, nothing got stuck. I found it easiest to dip the wooden toys into the bucket rather than paint it on, and it worked fine. Smile

A bit upset because the rescue I want to get my companion mice from for Weasel is moving right now, and my poor girl will have to wait more. Sad Thinking maybe I'll just get some mice from my local chain, although I don't like the idea, considering how they probably have mites. However, Weasel isn't as depressed as I expected, I built her a cardboard tower and she's been going crazy for it. Still a bit upset with the rescue, but they do a lot of important work in my area, rescuing and adopting out rodents. Their adoption applications are very thorough, at least.

antant26
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by seamischica Sun 02 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

That popsicle stick planter sounds awesome!
If you are worried about the grass at the pet store, you can buy the grass seeds at your local garden center. Cat25  
I love your idea of a natural mouse house, I have log for my mouse that I found outside, I just put it in the freezer to sterilize it! He seems to really love it, and when it gets too stinky you can wash it or just replace it Smile
As for hay bedding, that works great for them! My mouse (Granola) loves it for bedding because he can eat it and play with it!
If you want natural looking chews, just find a non-spayed apple tree and cut off some branches, once they dry, (usually around a few weeks, if you want it more dry, maybe a month) you can use them! I don't keep the leaves, but they are harmless for mice. Granola loves these much more than any of the store chews I've tried!
I hope this helped you! Mouse8
seamischica
seamischica

Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down