Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Male Fancy And 1 Wild Female Deer Questions!

4 posters

Go down

2 Male Fancy And 1  Wild Female Deer Questions! Empty 2 Male Fancy And 1 Wild Female Deer Questions!

Post by Crixxic Fri 28 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

Hello this is my first post on this forum and this may not be in the right section.

So first a little bit about me and my mice

I am a brand new mouse owner and dont have much experience with mice and altho I may be a bit "in to deep" with all 3 of my new mice it is what I am going to be dealing with!

My mice in question:

Two store boughten male fancy's (one will be called grey and the other white)
-Both mice i believe to be young their body size is about just over 2 inches
-They are from the same litter and have been housed together from birth
-Are currently living together in the same cage peacefully as far as I can tell (No noise,fighting,tale slapping or anything of the sort they even sleep together!)
- Have had both mice for about a week
-Both mice seem to be healthy and happy

My Wild female deer/white footed mouse
-Was found in a house in a new development near the forest in a smaller town near the city I live in(Dog chased it around and caught it so i took it home to my girlfriend and to are surprise was not injured as far as we could tell but probably to young to survive on its own and of course very scared for the last week but has sence calmed down)
- Is very young from what I can tell her body is about and inch and a half long roughly
-Seems to be health and likes to run around and is much better with human interaction then when she was first found (almost better than my white fancy male)
-housed alone

If you would like any more information on any of my mice please just ask I only put things I thought people would like to know but if i missed something I can answer your question.

Ok SO on to my question: Over the last couple of days I have introduced the smells of my two males to my female and visa versa and after a couple of days I put my female mouse in with my two males for about an hour or two with strict supervision and everything is for the most part ok they are all very young so they gett together pretty well my white male does not mind the wild female at all and she doesn't mind him they never even realy interact (my female gets pretty hyper/scared/stressed when she goes in with the males but that was expected from her and she does settle in after a couple minutes) but my grey mouse (the one that lets me and my girlfriend actually take out of the cage and is very calm and curios) alot of the time he goes over the the female wild mouse and kind gets on top of her? maybe not quite on top but very close to her and smells her? or something of the sort Im not 100% sure what he does most of the time they are under they bedding in the cage it when i try and move it he stops but as far as i can tell he does not hurt her and she does not try to run and has only made two small squeaks from him standing on her or just getting to be annoying at him from being so close.

So if you have any information on what the grey male might be doing or if you have any insight into my situation at all any and all information will be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated even tips or strategies that may help are welcome thank you very much for your help!

Crixxic

Aries Sunshine

Back to top Go down

2 Male Fancy And 1  Wild Female Deer Questions! Empty Re: 2 Male Fancy And 1 Wild Female Deer Questions!

Post by River Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:13 pm

There is a lot to say...most of what you have done is very, very dangerous. Its fine! We all made mistakes in the beginning. Learning from them is what helps us along.

Separate the males, ASAP. Males will kill each other. Even brothers. Even mice that were in love days before. Males will fight, and they will kill. Its heartbreaking, but it happens, and for that reason all males must live alone.

Do not let the female with the males. She is wild caught -- she cannot live in captivity. She will eventually lose her mind. Holding a wild mouse captive is known to cause psychosis. We have a thread on releasing wild mice..please follow the information given there ASAP.

This will clear all your problems.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

2 Male Fancy And 1  Wild Female Deer Questions! Empty Re: 2 Male Fancy And 1 Wild Female Deer Questions!

Post by River Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:20 pm

Here are some links I recommend you read!

Care and releasing of wild mice: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information#6

Male mice living together: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos

Mouse Housing: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t26-proper-housing

I also recommend going through the other stickies! Diet, housing, and enrichment are some of the most important things to know.

Remember, mistakes are nothing to be ashamed of. They are something we learn from, and they help us grow! Thank you for coming to us. (:

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Crixxic Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:33 pm

Hello River and thank you for the reply and links!

My female has been separated for a while now and will probably stay with me until I have the time to take her somewhere to be released!

As far as my males go they will have to stay together a little longer under strict supervision until I can get a suitable cage for one of them if any kind of fighting or arguing does happen they will be separated immediately I just don't have anything I would consider suitable living space for the other mouse but note that they will be looked after 24/7 until i get my new cage and at night I could make some sort of make shift cage for one just in case!

Thank you for your advice and help its very much appreciated!

Edit: Its strange how the pet store sold me two males and said they could live together altho I imagine its probably like a mouse sweat shop in there but you would think if I was going to keep them as pets they would at least point it out that they could kill each other. I guess they just dont care and that sad...

Crixxic

Aries Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:40 pm

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum!  hello2  

I agree with everything @River said.  Male mice just don't naturally live with other males. Once they reach maturity, the dominant male will chase them off from the group (consisting of him, a few females, and any pups they have). He'll also fight/chase away any other rival males.  In nature this rarely ends badly because there's enough space to get away and other males generally respect others' territory. But in captivity there's no where to go, so it very often leads to serious injury or even death. *EDIT AGAIN* Just in case I wanted to add that you can't keep a male with females in captivity for obvious reasons, unless neutered - which is very risky and requires an experienced exotic vet and a lot of research and thought before deciding if it's right or necessary for your bucks. And I'll add that neutering does not change anything about male mice not being able to be housed together.

Unfortunately pet stores often give out outdated, wrong, or even down right harmful information. You could create a separate suitable space using a bin. You'll just need to cut out a section of the lid and zip tie in some metal hardware cloth for ventilation. It's a very cheap alternative to aquariums and as long as the sides of the bin are smooth, there's usually no trouble with chewing (though always inspect daily just in case).  Its important to separate them asap because they can go from snuggling one day, to a blood bath the next.  

Here's a link to a thread that shows some of the pretty horrific injuries that have happened when males were kept together. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos  
EDIT: Oops, I see River already linked it.

Last edited by CallaLily on Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Crixxic Sat 29 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome CallaLily.

And rest assured all measures will be taken so that my mice will have happy lives.

The lack of information received from the pet store has been a big shock but sense making this thread I have done a lot of research and learned a lot of information and will continuously do so over the years

The site I have been using for information is also the site that lead me to these forums http://www.thefunmouse.com/

Anyways thanks again for every ones help!

Edit: Alright both mice have been separated the bin will just have to do until I can get a new cage! Smile

Crixxic

Aries Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 29 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Awesome! You're off to a great start. The Fun Mouse forum is where many of us started, and when it shut down @Peachy was nice enough to create this forum so we could carry on. All our articles are sourced from there (with permission) and have been recently brought up-to-date by our Mods.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Crixxic Sat 29 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

Cool thanks for the info Ill start digging around here on the forums for more information ASAP I can never have to much information Smile

Again Thanks River and CallaLily for taking the time to Help me out!

Crixxic

Aries Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 29 Apr 2017, 1:47 pm

Hello and welcome! Sounds like with all the advice you got here has you off to a great start now Very Happy I'm very happy to hear you separated your males. Unfortunately pet stores give out a lot of incorrect information, which is extremely sad. Would love it if you could share some pics when you can. Looking forward to seeing your boys. Dance
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 29 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

Great job! You'll make a lovely mouse parent. They're lucky to have someone willing to learn!

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down