Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I worry

+4
CallaLily
River
AnonymousMouseOwner
scaredymouse
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I worry Empty I worry

Post by scaredymouse Sun 30 Apr 2017, 5:21 pm

My Jellybean is a very fat mouse. Her weight has been stable at 65g for a very long time. However, I picked her up a few days ago and noticed that she was obviously lighter. So, I weighed her and she is 52g. I weighed her today and she is 48g. That is a huge, sudden, unexplained weight loss. She has no other symptoms, so there isn't any point in going to the vet. It has been my experience that once mice start dropping weight like this... death is imminent. She's only a year old Sad

I would love to be wrong... but I've seen this too many times. So, my sweet little Jellybelly will be getting extra snuggles and treats just in case I'm right. And if things turn around, well that would be great!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

I worry Empty Re: I worry

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 30 Apr 2017, 5:27 pm

Sad

I love Jellybean. I'm sorry Scaredy, how old is she?

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 30 Apr 2017, 5:48 pm

Oh, no. Lots and lots of treats and cuddles. I hope she'll be getting better soon, and that this is just a false alarm. Hearts

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 30 Apr 2017, 5:52 pm

Celyn dropped 10 grams recently, but not as fast as Jellybean's case sounds.  I was super worried but she seems to have stopped there and is doing fine.  She went from 65g to 55g last I weighed her.  No other symptoms either.  I hope Jelly does ok.  How fast did she lose it?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 30 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

I can't say for sure, but she seems to have dropped it in a week. She's only a year old. But.... she's a feeder mouse and she was so tiny when I got her (just 13g), so i'm sure she was taken from her momma too soon. And she's been overweight for a long time, so that can't have been good for her. So the cards are stacked against her.

Anyway, I'll continue to monitor her closely, spoil her in the meantime, and hope I'm worrying for nothing. But those of us who have been at this for a long time know that dramatic weight loss is very, very concerning.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 30 Apr 2017, 6:13 pm

Oh wow that is quick. Sad I know sudden weight loss is a big red flag. hugs

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 30 Apr 2017, 6:56 pm

Awww, sorry to hear this. Yes, spoil her with extra attention and treats, just in case. But hopefully she is ok.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Sun 30 Apr 2017, 7:57 pm

Sorry to hear that. Are you taking her in to the vet soon? Hopefully it's just one of those things that will go away with a little extra protein and time. Sending my thoughts your way. <3

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 30 Apr 2017, 9:00 pm

No, I don't plan on taking her to the vet... Other than the huge weight loss, there isn't anything wrong with her. There isn't anything that can be diagnosed or treated by a vet. If she continues to lose weight, it is likely that she has an aggressive terminal condition for which I will treat the symptoms. Or maybe I'm wrong. That would be awesome.

I am always grateful though when I notice these sorts of things right away. It gives me the opportunity to prepare and make the most of the time we have.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 30 Apr 2017, 9:38 pm

scaredymouse wrote:No, I don't plan on taking her to the vet... Other than the huge weight loss, there isn't anything wrong with her.  There isn't anything that can be diagnosed or treated by a vet.  If she continues to lose weight, it is likely that she has an aggressive terminal condition for which I will treat the symptoms.  Or maybe I'm wrong.  That would be awesome.

I am always grateful though when I notice these sorts of things right away.  It gives me the opportunity to prepare and make the most of the time we have.
Just wondering, what do vets do for something like that? Would they just give her something like pain meds to keep her comfortable? Confused Or is there actually something they can do to help fight it? I hope she's ok!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 30 Apr 2017, 10:11 pm

Oh no. Sad My brindle sisters were big, big girls and they both lost a looot of weight quickly. Not at the same time, but they both got scary thin and I knew it was a matter of time. I did take one to the vet, she passed before the vet got back to me with anything, but she didn't have anything he tested for anyway. The last weeks together were sort of bittersweet...

But I've also had mice lose weight and then gain it back just as quick as they lost it. My best to you, Jellybean, and your other girls. Good vibes
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 30 Apr 2017, 10:18 pm

If she develops any symptoms, we can treat them to make her comfortable. Things like pain, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, etc. Being so tiny, vet just can't do the diagnostic test that would tell us what the problem is... But mice get everything people do, so it could be anything from thyroid disease to cancer. And even if they could diagnose it, it probably couldn't be treated. Such are mice.

All the other mice i have had like this just keep losing weight, slow down, get weak, then die. No sign of infection, no visible tumors, and in otherwise good spirits. Still eating and drinking... But losing weight.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 06 May 2017, 1:54 am

Now she's down to 42g. That means quite recently, she has lost 23g. So, I guess i just wait. I hate this. Incidentally, she looks great! But i think she will soon look too thin. She is still eating plenty and doesn't super to feel sick in any way, so that's a blessing.

I love my wittle Jellybean ❤

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 06 May 2017, 8:10 am

Hugs. I'm glad to hear that otherwise she seems fine. Mice are such tough little guys. Good vibes

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 06 May 2017, 10:03 am

Things changed a little bit today already. Her body temp was just a little cooler than usual and her body felt a little too relaxed and she mostly just sleeps and eats now.

I got her out this morning and she curled up on my shoulder under my shirt and went to sleep. Finally after a half hour, I had to wake her up and take her home. This is very unusual behaviour for her. So, I think this is the beginning of the end. But I've had other mice decline like this and it seems peaceful and pain free. Plus there are lots of snuggles and time for treats. I think it's time to have a pancake party!

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum