Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taming Problems???

5 posters

Go down

Taming Problems??? Empty Taming Problems???

Post by olimarthemouse Tue 17 May 2016, 3:23 pm

Ok, so long story short...Olimar's taming was going really well for a while; he was even climbing into my hand a certain points. Now, he seems scared of me. I have to pick up the wheel while he's on it in order to get him out of the cage so I can hold him. I've done nothing to hurt him. The only thing I can think of is about a month ago, I was sick. I didn't want to handle him too much and possibly make him sick, so I would wash my hands then pick him up for just a few minutes...long enough, I thought, to keep him tame, but not long enough to transfer any sickness to him. Any ideas on why he might be scared of me?
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Taming Problems??? Empty Re: Taming Problems???

Post by CallaLily Tue 17 May 2016, 5:33 pm

If you were handling him less than before, he may have just taken a step back on your taming journey. Nothing that you shouldn't be able to get back now that you're working with him regularly again. FYI, I'm pretty sure there aren't any illnesses that could pass from you to him. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 17 May 2016, 7:21 pm

I know that colds/ flu can't be passed on to pets Smile Don't know about other things, but I've never heard of any illnesses that can be passed onto pets.

I agree, it sounds like he's just gotten less used to you handling him. Time, patience and perseverance can tame any mouse Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Tue 17 May 2016, 8:07 pm

Ferrets & pigs can get human colds, and I believe chinchillas may be able to also. Other typical pets cannot.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Tue 17 May 2016, 9:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies! I've been working more with him in the past week, so hopefully it gets better. I do know that he really likes sitting on my shoulder. I could hardly get him to come down a while ago. Very Happy
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Windmilla Thu 19 May 2016, 10:56 am

I had mice that came right to my hand when they wanted to play, and some that were so interested in their own stuff that I had to just scoop them up everytime so I wouldn't miss playtime with everyone. But they were all tame. Its just a matter of spending a lot of time with them and getting them to know you.
Windmilla
Windmilla
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Thu 19 May 2016, 1:51 pm

Windmilla wrote:I had mice that came right to my hand when they wanted to play, and some that were so interested in their own stuff that I had to just scoop them up everytime so I wouldn't miss playtime with everyone. But they were all tame. Its just a matter of spending a lot of time with them and getting them to know you.

He's usually so interested in his wheel that he doesn't even worry about treats Shocked I'm trying to spend time wiht him more each day.
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum