Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting solids

4 posters

Go down

Starting solids Empty Starting solids

Post by Vfree Wed 17 May 2017, 2:53 pm

Hi, new here. I have a mouse named Larry that I found as an orphan at a few days old. His eyes are now open and he has so much mouse energy!! I've given him pieces of boiled rice to eat but I don't know if it's ok to leave a tiny dish of food in his enclosure, or only feed him little bits by hand? His nursing has gotten hilariously vigorous! He clearly needs more to eat.
I had his brother mouse as well, who was physically disabled. He never nursed as much as Larry. When he had his first bite of solid food he died the next morning, still showing a full milk belly. So I'm nervous about Larry and solid food.
Thanks!
P.s. I think he's a white footed mouse
Vfree
Vfree

Back to top Go down

Starting solids Empty Re: Starting solids

Post by scaredymouse Wed 17 May 2017, 7:34 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the other little fella, I'm sure that was an isolated incident. Larry sounds healthy and ready to food! He can be offered anything an adult mouse eats at this point plus a little extra protein. So you can give him millet, oats, quinoa, flaxseeds, freeze dried mealworms, sunflower seeds, walnuts/pecans, kale, spinach, cheerios, scrambled eggs, plain cooked chicken, pumpkin seeds, cucumber... most fruits and veggies are safe in small amounts a few times a week, and he can eat a little bit of eggs/chicken daily as a baby... and all the other things he can eat as much as he wants. If you have any questions about safe foods, feel free to ask... I just rambled off what I could think of that I know mice like.

Try not to be nervous, he needs solid foods at this stage of development... and if something happens... it will be a sad day but he still needs it. I understand, I would be nervous, too! Good luck! You've done a great job getting him this far!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Vfree Sun 21 May 2017, 12:12 am

Hi, and thanks so much for your reply. I couldn't figure out how to reply and then realized I wasn't signed in. I'm really bright Smile
Larry is eating like a champ! He loves walnuts. Likes oats. Will not eat a vegatable. Not yet anyway. And he does still nurse, though not for nearly as long as he used to. I took your advice and started letting him eat as much as he wants of his pre-packaged mouse food, walnuts, and oats. He seems to enjoy digging through the tiny dish to find a bit of something specific.
My plan had been to handle him less as he weans and release him when he was ready. But that's gone out the window. He is such a neat little guy and seems to love me in his own mousey way.
I am totally smitten.
Thanks so much!
Vfree
Vfree

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 21 May 2017, 11:01 am

Vfree wrote:Hi, and thanks so much for your reply. I couldn't figure out how to reply and then realized I wasn't signed in. I'm really bright Smile
Larry is eating like a champ! He loves walnuts. Likes oats. Will not eat a vegatable. Not yet anyway. And he does still nurse, though not for nearly as long as he used to. I took your advice and started letting him eat as much as he wants of his pre-packaged mouse food, walnuts, and oats. He seems to enjoy digging through the tiny dish to find a bit of something specific.
My plan had been to handle him less as he weans and release him when he was ready. But that's gone out the window. He is such a neat little guy and seems to love me in his own mousey way.
I am totally smitten.
Thanks so much!

Awww, glad to hear he is doing so well, that's great!! Can we see pictures of Larry? Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vfree Sun 21 May 2017, 11:12 am

If you can tell me how to post a photo I would love to show him off!
Vfree
Vfree

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 21 May 2017, 2:09 pm

Vfree wrote:If you can tell me how to post a photo I would love to show him off!

The little toolbar right above where you type messages, in the section with the little YouTube symbol, click on the first icon in that section to upload photos Very Happy Hope that helps.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Starting solids Empty Classic Version!

Post by Vfree Sun 21 May 2017, 2:26 pm

I was on mobile version.
Classic is where it's at!
Meet Larry!Starting solids 20170511
Vfree
Vfree

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 21 May 2017, 6:04 pm

What a cute, scruffy little fella! Is he missing some hair or is he messy from nursing?

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 21 May 2017, 7:06 pm

Vfree wrote:I was on mobile version.
Classic is where it's at!
Meet Larry!Starting solids 20170511

Awww, he is sooooo cute!! Thanks for sharing the photo Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vfree Sun 21 May 2017, 7:29 pm

He's super scruffy! He just always looks like he's living under a bridge. There is a spot on his snout that looks like he's scratched the fur off. But there is no broken skin and he doesn't scratch obsessively. He cleans himself a lot. Seriously washes his face and hands before he will eat, and again after.
Vfree
Vfree

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom Wed 31 May 2017, 3:25 pm

We bought ours baby food in a jar and put it in the lids from gallon water jugs. We also used infant oatmeal and KMR powdered kitten formula mixed with bottled water
KellysMom
KellysMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum