Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bulk food

3 posters

Go down

Bulk food Empty Bulk food

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 27 May 2017, 6:27 am

Is there anywhere I can get Vitakraft in bulk? I go through the little 2 pound bags quickly. I did find Sunseed in bulk, what is your opinion on this? It kinda looks like it might not be processed as well as the stuff in the little bags is.
https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Parakeet-Bird-Food/I/Sun-Seed-Vita-Parakeet.aspx?catargetid=520009670000580251&cadevice=t&gclid=CMLcssb5j9QCFUqUfgodvzgMHg

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Bulk food Empty Re: Bulk food

Post by CallaLily Sat 27 May 2017, 7:40 am

The ingredients are a bit different than both the Vita Prima and the Vita Smart (not sure which you normally use).  This bulk bag seems to have even less variety than the Vita Prima and I don't see any mention of the GA.   It's mainly millet and canary grass seed compared to millet and oats in the others, but oats are right up there in the list too.  Bonus, it seems to have less corn.  Depending on the GA, I think this would still be an ok base. Base as in I personally would never feed any of these foods as is - I would add other grains/seeds to the mix for more variety, paying attention to how this changes the GA of course.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 27 May 2017, 7:51 pm

Oh ok, I didn't even realize that the ingredients were different, thank you! It's odd that they would label it as the same food, but change the ingredients :/

Is variety the only problem you have with Vitakraft? I've seen you mention a lot that you don't like either of the foods recommended here. However, all the GA values seem to be within the recommended range.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 27 May 2017, 8:18 pm

The variety is the main thing, yes.  The other things I don't like are the same with pretty much every other commercial foods.  I do actually use a commercial parakeet food as roughly 30% of my seed mix though. I just feel like variety is just as important as the GA but is often overlooked.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 28 May 2017, 3:17 am

I'm with Calla on this one. I feed about 50% parakeet mix and the rest is my own mix. The two foods the forum recommends are perfectly adequate but i agree that they are far from perfect. I just generally don't recommend doing what me and Calla do to most people, especially new people. Its not like its hard but its more expensive and it's more work, which isn't feasible for everyone.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 28 May 2017, 9:27 am

scaredymouse wrote: Its not like its hard but its more expensive and it's more work, which isn't feasible for everyone.

This is what I try to get across but fail every time.  I end up sounding so snooty. Paper Bag

Me no use words well. Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 28 May 2017, 3:22 pm

Lol *snort*

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum