Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Failed introduction

2 posters

Go down

Failed introduction Empty Failed introduction

Post by Bthny Sun 04 Jun 2017, 2:38 pm

Well, I tried to introduce my girls again.  I attempted their introduction previously when I had the girls in pairs, and it didn't go well.  I didn't see any blood drawn the first time, but there was fighting (attacking really), and one girl broke a claw which was bleeding after.  Since I'm down to two girls who are each living alone, I wanted to give it another shot.  They've been alone for a little over a week, so I swapped around a lot of bedding between their cages and set up totally neutral territory. There was about 30 seconds of investigating before Desdemona went after Celia and left a bloody spot near her mouth Sad Fortunately, Celia is alright.  I cleaned the mark with a q-tip, she groomed it, and she's eating with it done bleeding already.

Here's my question: I hate to have two girls living alone for the rest of their lives.  Desdemona is about a year and 2 months, and Celia is 8 months.  In the introduction, Desdemona was the aggressor.  What are the chances that I'd be able to introduce either of them to another colony, if I got a few more girls?  I'd love to have more mice, but I'm nervous that 3 separate colonies is going to be a lot to handle long term, since I'll be dividing my time between them, rather than interacting with everyone together.  

My other concern is that I think Desdemona is going to be too bored living alone.  I've been getting her out for short playtimes (basically letting her run around on my arms or legs) a few times a day in addition to her play-bin time.  But she's been picking up bar biting and in general seems a little neurotic.  I have a few Crittertrail type cages that I got for cheap/free secondhand, and was wondering everyone's thoughts on switching her to different cage.  Individually, all the cages are smaller than her current one, and I never used them because I didn't want to split up the colonies, but are there any really negatives to linking them all together if she's alone?  She'd get a little bit more space overall, plus a change in scenery.  I also have a spare 10 gallon I can put her in, but it's smaller than her current cage, and she loves to climb bars.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!
Bthny
Bthny
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Failed introduction Empty Re: Failed introduction

Post by Peachy Mon 05 Jun 2017, 12:32 am

How did you go about introducing them?
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down