Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What color is Juniper?

5 posters

Go down

What color is Juniper? Empty What color is Juniper?

Post by Soren Sat 21 May 2016, 8:28 pm

This is Juniper, he is 27 days old and weighs only 25 grams (almost weaning age, he gets to say goodbye to mommy tomorrow). He is one of the few surviving pups from that crazy 19-baby-litter that encountered many unfortunate events.

Anyways... What color is he? He seems to light to be agouti. I compared him to my agouti mouse, and he is lighter in color. However he seems to dark to be any of the tan varieties. His undercoat is darker than his top coat (you can see it because the fur on his hip got rustled).

This is Juniper:
What color is Juniper? Img_2010

Sorry this is horrible quality, they simply wouldn't stop moving... but this is Juniper(top) next to an Agouti(bottom) mouse for color comparison.
What color is Juniper? Screen10

Last edited by Soren on Sun 22 May 2016, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

What color is Juniper? Empty Re: What color is Juniper?

Post by scaredymouse Sat 21 May 2016, 10:27 pm

squeak! Jupiter is adorable! i'm no expert with colors, but he looks like light colored agouti to me. super cute!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 22 May 2016, 8:52 am

I'm no expert either, but my guess would be that Juniper is a poor cinnamon. Cinnamon is a variant of the agouti gene, but it is a lighter colour and doesn't have black "ticking" like the agouti.

I say "poor" cinnamon, because he isn't a classic example of cinnamon... in mouse showing, they would be looking for a more chocolatey colour, with red tones. But cinnamon can be much lighter and more of a golden colour, it's just not what's preferred in show mice, so you won't see many pictures of cinnamon mice looking like Juniper.

That would be my guess anyway Smile He's lovely Ear wiggle

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Sun 22 May 2016, 5:01 pm

On my monitor, he looks like a recessive yellow.  What varieties were the parents?

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Sun 22 May 2016, 5:13 pm

Juniper has a recessive yellow brother, who is distinctly yellow. Does Recessive yellow have darker varieties? His mother is recessive yellow (maybe lethal yellow, i don't know). Unfortunately, I don't know who the father was, she was pregnant when I got her. The pet store (that recently closed down) i bought her from separated fancy pet mice by colors, There were self blacks/blues/grey and black foxes in one cage, the broken marked blues, agouti, silver, and himalayans in another cage, and the creams and yellows (both SELF and broken marked) cage, which is where she lived. I assume the father was also a yellow variety since there were no dark colors in the cage. And Juniper was the only dark mouse... and his litter mates (including the deceased ones) were either yellow or brindle.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 22 May 2016, 6:43 pm

Can I ask how many pups survived in the end? I can't remember if you ever mentioned or not.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 22 May 2016, 7:40 pm

He does look pretty yellow, but yellows don't have that dark under-colour on the fur. I thought that was an agouti or cinnamon thing.

I think it's pretty common for yellows, agoutis and cinnamons to all be in the same litter, as they are all related genes. I had a two mice that were from the same litter, and were yellow and cinnamon.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Sun 22 May 2016, 8:49 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:Can I ask how many pups survived in the end? I can't remember if you ever mentioned or not.

Six made it to 28days, but only 4 of them are "healthy". Nora (27grams) and Yang (32gr) are the healthy girls. I posted pictures on them in the pictures category. And Juniper (27 gr) and Juane  (33g) are the healthy boys. There are two other babies both female. There is the BEW weighting only 13 grams which is seriously underweight. And a broken marked yellow at only 11 grams, which is also seriously underweight for 28 days old.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Mon 23 May 2016, 12:48 am

Recessive yellow ranges from very pale coats to the dark sooty ones.  When it has the pink eye gene, the mice are a glorious day-glo reddish orange- Absolutely stunning.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down