Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outside playtime too soon?

4 posters

Go down

Outside playtime too soon? Empty Outside playtime too soon?

Post by melsmousies Wed 19 Jul 2017, 8:45 pm

Hello! I'm a new mouse mother to two adorable girls I've had them for about a week and a half just recently I got a large bin for them to play in but I'm starting to think it's stressing Spot out. She's fine at first but then tail rattles and looks for ways out even though there are tons of toys and hideouts. Then once she's back in her home she seems to be coming down from the stress tail rattling, small scuffles with her cagemate Gemma. Is it too soon to be having outside playtime? They are not fully tamed yet but Gemma doesn't seem to mind the playtime. I got them from a breeder if I had to guess age there about 3 months old. Hand taming is also taking a while but they are fairly new and patience is key. I should also mention Spot is the more hyper, outgoing one of the two not sure if that contributes to the playtime behavior? Thanks for any words of wisdom!
melsmousies
melsmousies

Back to top Go down

Outside playtime too soon? Empty Re: Outside playtime too soon?

Post by Nice-Mice-2017 Thu 20 Jul 2017, 1:51 am

I recommend that before you are bringing them out of their cage, you let them get comfortable with the cage first. This should take up to a few weeks depending on the mice, but also make sure they are comfortable with you. Changing from one place to another can make them very nervous and scared if they are not used to the environment in the first place. Thanks!

Nice-Mice-2017

Back to top Go down

Post by melsmousies Thu 20 Jul 2017, 8:26 am

Ahh alright I was reading information that a few days is enough of a settle in period but I had waited a little longer then that even. Thank you! I had a feeling with how she was acting that it's a little too soon yet to venture outside of her cage. This forum has been so helpful for me being a new mouse owner!
melsmousies
melsmousies

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 20 Jul 2017, 10:12 am

It's not too early to take them out... Taming can be quicker if you bring them to a "neutral territory," which is why putting them in a playbin or bathtub is recommended so often.

Tail rattling can mean something has startled her and she's warning it to stay away. Do you have any other pets around? Any sudden movements or new smells? That would explain it.
She could also just be annoyed or feeling threatened that she's not at home. How long do you have them out?

There's nothing wrong with letting them settle in a bit more and putting the playbin off for a while longer if that's what you want to do. I would keep introducing my hand in their cage so they can learn to associate me with good things, though. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by melsmousies Thu 20 Jul 2017, 10:43 am

They're the only pets around Smile I'm pretty sure its all the new items in the bin and smells that are contributing to her behavior I've only had them out in the bin twice I was going to do every other day just because they are so new but after seeing how stressed she seems I was thinking of holding off however it had the opposite affect on her cage mate she's come out of her shell more and even stays out of hiding when I'm near the cage or in it for clean ups even got her to nibble a little peanut butter off my finger. I'm hoping soon I can handle them its hard to know when the right time is neither has just plopped up in my hand but both are very used to it and curious.
melsmousies
melsmousies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 20 Jul 2017, 9:18 pm

Sounds like you are doing a good job with them. Another thing you may want to try is to let them climb on you. That is a great way to bond with them. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by melsmousies Fri 21 Jul 2017, 8:43 am

Thank you! I'm going to try that this weekend, great idea!
melsmousies
melsmousies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 21 Jul 2017, 8:54 am

melsmousies wrote:Thank you! I'm going to try that this weekend, great idea!

Great! Keep us posted on how it goes Very Happy I like that method as it gives them time out of their cage and mice love to climb on their people, so it's a win, win for you and the mice.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down