Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting them to eat their greens!

4 posters

Go down

Getting them to eat their greens! Empty Getting them to eat their greens!

Post by Mouse friend Sun 23 Jul 2017, 12:01 pm

Does anyone have any advice for mice that won't eat fruit or vegetables? The only things I can seem to get them to eat other than their main diet of Science Selective and Farm Friends Reggie Rat and Mimi Mouse mix ( corn picked out) is dried meal worms and defrosted garden peas. ( I use boiled water then cut into tiny quarters) Carrot dried or fresh is ignored, same with apple, cucumber. My vet wants me to get them onto mashed banana in case we have to go back down the mediation route for Annabelle but she and Olivia will only take a few licks if their in the mood. I left a couple of blueberries overnight and one was eaten, raspberry ignored. I always wash fruit and veg thoroughly and buy organic for them but they keep turning their noses up! They are so sweet though because if I offer them anything they'll pick it up and move it even if they don't eat it like a kid whose been given a Christmas present they don't like- it's almost like " err thanks! I'll just put this over here..."

Mouse friend

Festive

Back to top Go down

Getting them to eat their greens! Empty Re: Getting them to eat their greens!

Post by CallaLily Sun 23 Jul 2017, 1:23 pm

Laughing picky little boogers.

My mice like to nibble the tops of broccoli, leafy greans, strawberries, coconut. They like banana chips over fresh banana. Maybe try a different mashed fruit or mashed sweet potato?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouse friend Sun 23 Jul 2017, 1:40 pm

That sounds good Very Happy I did find an organic baby food which only has carrot, broccoli and sweet potato ( no other ingredients at all) and I thought maybe that might work ( just as a treat to get them used to for easier medications) I'm struggling to find banana chips without added sugar but I keep looking... will have to get strawberries and broccali - do yours only choose the tops or are small amounts of stalk ok? I only ask as my guineas used to love broccali stalks although I know mice can only have tiny amounts of fruit and veg a couple times a week right?

Mouse friend

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

The broccoli stalks are fine to offer, mine just seem to only like the tops.  Baby food with just safe fruits and veg (and grains) as the ingredients are safe for treats too.

You can do small amounts daily if you like, just be sure it doesn't overtake their main staple food.  A good seed mix should always make up the bulk of their diet.  It's recommended as a minimum to offer fresh foods twice a week.  See naturally mice eat mainly grains, seeds, and insects but they will on occasion take full advantage of safe fruits, nuts, greens, herbs, flowers, mushrooms, etc.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:09 pm

My girls have never liked anything fresh, except live mealworms, if you consider those fresh food, they love those. I can get them to nibble on a blueberry, some banana, or a piece of spinach every so often, but they never eat the whole serving I give them. Mice are just picky little things!

Rocky is an odd mouse though, he'll eat anything you give him, he likes it all! Scout is fairly picky as well, but he'll eat a few fresh fruits. Mice just all have their own personalities and all like different things. Keep trying different foods, maybe you'll find a good, safe fruit/veggie they like!

Getting them to eat their greens! Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouse friend Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:22 pm

To CallaLily: Ok right I've been giving no more than 3 dried meal worms a night ( not every night) or one and a half peas each and since trying to rule out Annabelle pos allergy those are the only treats they have unless they deign to have a few licks of banana lol. I have so much to learn on nutrition! They have a seed ... I can't call it lab block it makes me feel sick... and biscuit mix which is supreme Selective mouse blocks/ biscuits and Supreme Reggie rat and mimi mouse mix ( the mix is the one the breeder uses) the Selective I was recommended my only offline rodent friend. I know they're not the best but I've learnt to pick out all the corn of the mix and have been reading your extremely helpful uk suppliers page and the nutrition info trying to work out what would be best to go for and where I could get it.

To Anon mouse: I'm so relieved to hear that:) in my ignorance when I started reading before I got my girls I thought mice would eat anything and it would be more a case of making sure they only had safe nutrious food I didn't think about how they might be fussy just like so many other animals!

Mouse friend

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 23 Jul 2017, 5:05 pm

I use Supreme Science Selective Mouse biscuits too. I prefer them to any of the mouse block food sold here in the U.S.

Reggie Rat/Mimi Mouse I think the main problems are a lot of corn and not much variety, but I haven't looked at it in a while so I might be mixing it up with something. Glancing back at old posts I'm seeing rat rations and beaphar Xtra vital mouse being mentioned by UK members.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 23 Jul 2017, 8:48 pm

Watermelon is a favorite around here. Romaine lettuce too. You just have to keep trying 'til they decide they like stuff. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouse friend Mon 24 Jul 2017, 2:29 pm

CallaLily: your spot on about the reggierat/ mimi mouse - the ingredients are: wheat,whole maize, flaked peas, torrified(?) wheat, whole oats, flaked maize, soya bean meal, wheat feed, alfalfa meal, linseeds, soya oil, extruded locust beans, soya bean hulls, calcium carbonate ( plus colourants) so basically once I've picked out the maize( corn) it's just flaked peas, various little coloured biscuits that are basically soya beans, wheat and oats which sounds pretty dull although I do like them having some soya but I'd rather give them human quality tofu that I can make sure is GM free. The mix is 14% protein.

Glad to hear you also you use the Science Selective mouse I can't seem to find any better block/ biscuit and my girls love them. I do like to give animals a complete feed in case of fussy eaters (learnt the hard way with horses and guienapigs) but feel variety really important too especially as unlike horses and guineas they don't eat much else so will look into those seed mixes.

Peachy: ooh I'd love an excuse to buy watermelon as I never buy it for myself as not always around and expensive but if it was to share with the girls!.... also romaine lettuce great will have to try that aswell.

Thanks again guys Smile

Mouse friend

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum