Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help?

3 posters

Go down

Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Empty Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help?

Post by FluffyTailedNico Mon 31 Jul 2017, 12:07 pm

Today when I was cleaning Kit & Kaboodle's tank, I was picking Kit up to put her into the cleaning cage when I noticed her eye was really screwed up.  Now, her eye has honestly always looked a tad off, but it never got any worse and it never seemed to bother her so I didn't think much of it. This is worse than it's ever been.... I believe they both have mites (Kaboodle has scabs on the nape of her neck) and I will begin treating them with Ivermectin as soon as my order comes in. Is it possible she scratched her eye by accident, or could this be something else?

In addition, Kit and Kaboodle are seriously different in size, activity, and weight. Kaboodle is fluffy, big, active and well groomed. I'm kind of worried that she's overweight.... she's really pudgy.
Meanwhile, Kit's coat is far shorter,  and she's thin and light, and she's definitely shy, but she does go out and about (in fact, she's out right now).  
Could it be possible that kit is just smaller than her sister? Or do you think that there's some kind of illness behind this?

Any advice as to what any of this could be? And what I can maybe do about their weights (If there's anything wrong with their weight)?

*Sigh* this is all my fault. I should be checking them so much more often for illness. And if the mites are causing this... I suspected they had mites long before I took any action to treat it. I just ignored it. Kit's weight and eye too. I noticed it was off, and I ignored it. Prayed they weren't sick. I'm just a crappy dad.

In order, these are pictures of Kit's eye, Kit running around (so you can see her size/coat) and the two together to show the difference in their size (Kaboodle, the bigger one, is in the front of the picture).

Thank you all so much for any advice.

Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Untitled_by_apocollic-dbicjbt
Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Untitled_by_apocollic-dbicjbd
Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Untitled_by_apocollic-dbicjb1
Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Untitled_by_apocollic-dbicjap
Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Untitled_by_apocollic-dbicjah
FluffyTailedNico
FluffyTailedNico

Aquarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Empty Re: Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help?

Post by CallaLily Mon 31 Jul 2017, 4:32 pm

Kit's eye definitely looks swollen, and imo a vet trip is needed to see what's up with it.  She does also look a little unkempt, so maybe not feeling well - though this could just be the eye and the mites, and yes the two may be related (from scratching).

As for size differences between her and her sister. Like people, mice vary is size and shape. I don't think it's a concern. Kaboodle is chubby but not at any point that would be cause for concern. But is that a lump on her side or just a weird angle?

Cute names, btw. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help? Empty Re: Wonky eye, different weights, lots of problems, help?

Post by FluffyTailedNico Mon 31 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm

CallaLily wrote:Kit's eye definitely looks swollen, and imo a vet trip is needed to see what's up with it.  She does also look a little unkempt, so maybe not feeling well - though this could just be the eye and the mites, and yes the two may be related (from scratching).

As for size differences between her and her sister. Like people, mice vary is size and shape. I don't think it's a concern. Kaboodle is chubby but not at any point that would be cause for concern. But is that a lump on her side or just a weird angle?

Cute names, btw. Smile

Thank you! I love matching names hehe

Ah, well it's good to know thier weights aren't much of a concern at least. I started them on Ivermectin today, so hopefully they'll both start feeling a bit better soon Smile If Kit's eye doesn't improve within a couple days, a vet trip is in order.

It is a lump Sad That's definitley new, it must have appeared within the last couple days because I know I would have noticed that. Do you think it's a tumor? I've had them both for almost exactly 6 months by the way. I suppose I should probably have a vet check that out too?
By the way, if it is, is there anything that I do that could have caused it? My hamster passed away from a mass in his chest, and now this... is it just the way things are, or perhaps something I'm doing wrong?

Sorry about that dash of self destruction in my original post btw :'D It's a bad habit.
FluffyTailedNico
FluffyTailedNico

Aquarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 01 Aug 2017, 8:06 am

It could very likely be a tumor. Mice are very prone to them. It's nothing you did, it's pretty common and they often develop quickly. Three of my mice have developed tumors. I did take mine to the vet just to confirm and make sure it was not an abscess. An abscess can be treated.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 03 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm

I think a vet trip for both of them is in order

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum