Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question

3 posters

Go down

Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question Empty Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question

Post by pumpkinmouse Wed 09 Aug 2017, 2:46 am

Picked up two female ASFs as companions for a lonely male today. I'm a first time ASF owner & although I've been researching them heavily in preparation for adopting them, I continued reading all kinds of websites & came across an article on Lassa virus. The primary carrier of the disease is multimammate mice & outbreaks are somewhat common in South Africa, where they originate. Needless to say, I scared myself Sad

I can't readily find the information I'm looking for, so this may be a stupid question based off of paranoia - but I really don't know where to look / who to ask so maybe someone here has some insight or can point me in the right direction. What is the likelihood that ASFs located in North America (Canada) would be carrying this virus?

I don't know whether ASFs are/were imported with or without proper documentation stating vet clearance, or anything about how they came to this continent in all honesty. I've heard of them being sold at pet stores & I can't picture shops taking the risk of infecting people with a virus that's so prevalent & easy to contract. I understand completely that there is the potential for fancy mice to be carrying any number of zoonotic diseases & the need to take proper precautions, which I do, but multimammates are an animal I have zero experience with who I just read commonly carries an illness that isn't encountered often in North America & is difficult to diagnose / treat. Thousands of people die yearly in South Africa from Lassa virus.

I apologize for this being off topic & not necessarily a post about fancy mice, but I feel like I need some reassurance & have no clue where to look Worry Any help you can give me is much appreciated

Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Elated

Back to top Go down

Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question Empty Re: Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question

Post by CallaLily Wed 09 Aug 2017, 8:27 am

I think it's unlikely since those in the pet trade have been bred in captivity for many generations*. From what I've read it's contracted through urine and feces. Wash your hands after handling or cleaning, as you should with any pet.

*From what I've quickly read, they were first brought over in the 30s to North America for lab research and then bred as an alternative source for reptile feeders, and only recently have been thought of as pets. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question Empty Re: Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question

Post by scaredymouse Wed 09 Aug 2017, 2:18 pm

I'm with callalily... The asf stock in this country has been here for years and years. I don't think it is anything you need to worry about.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by pumpkinmouse Wed 09 Aug 2017, 6:55 pm

Thank you guys for taking the time out of your day to help me! I appreciate it greatly Love

It occurred to me after posting this to read the guidelines on importation of animals in both Canada & the United States - turns out importation of all African rodents in both countries is prohibited. I could pretty easily look up the date when those policies were implemented & reassure myself even further, lol. I was able to find the date / person who initially brought them into North America, but little to no information stating whether or not our population of them are direct descendants or offspring of others that were imported afterwards, etc. I've read a couple things within the spectrum of genetics that suggest to me the vast majority are from one specific strain, so I was able to sleep lastnight, lol.

Mine seem to be settling in okay, but they are weird little creatures Laughing

Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 09 Aug 2017, 11:14 pm

yeah, my asf is a weird little thing.  I still can't hold her but my little mouse man loves her, and that's all that matters.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by pumpkinmouse Sat 12 Aug 2017, 1:52 am

scaredymouse wrote:yeah, my asf is a weird little thing.  I still can't hold her but my little mouse man loves her, and that's all that matters.

I'm glad you've had great success with your multi & mouse bonding! Colt really likes them but they are noooot fans of him at all. I'm assuming because they are weanlings & he towers over them, but it doesn't help that he constantly feels the need to hump them Wink
I will say I'm amazed at how ridiculously smart they are though. Eerie - but smart.
Since I'm probably more wary of them than they are of me I haven't made an attempt to touch them at all, lol. But as it stands right now I strongly prefer fancy mice from a behavior perspective. I seem to have some preconceived notions about them that I haven't been able to shake off, but I'm working on it. They deserve a chance. But since they won't go near him, he's definitely not getting the affection he wants & I honestly wish I could just house him with the girls.

Multimammate Mice (ASF) Health Question Img_4910

Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:39 pm

she sure is pretty!  My asf loves my fancy man mouse!  And she is like twice his size, so they make a funny couple.  There is lots of humping, but she just sits there and takes it, lol!!!

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down