Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treats and Storage

+4
MooMouse
Peachy
AnonymousMouseOwner
CallaLily
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Treats and Storage Empty Treats and Storage

Post by CallaLily Wed 09 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

I was curious to know what treats you guys have on hand for the mice and how you store them?  I was watching a hamster video earlier today and she came up with a unique storage solution for her tons and tons of treats. It got me curious about what everyone here does.  

I use these jars, in two sizes:
Treats and Storage Rajtan10

Currently with pumpkin seeds, walnuts, nori, "tasty grubs," aniseed, graham crackers, and cheese flavored drops.  I know the last two aren't the healthiest, but I picked them up when I was spoiling Hazel in her last few days.  I also have mealworms and dried shrimp, but in plastic containers over by the crab tank.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Treats and Storage Empty Re: Treats and Storage

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 09 Aug 2017, 10:27 pm

I need a way to store my treats better... They are in ziplock bags, on the table where my hamster's tank is Laughing . They are kind all over the place and unorganized. I want to get some jars like that one day, but I've never come across any in a store. Are they reasonably priced, too?

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 09 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm

They're from the Dollar Tree. I haven't seen them there in a while though.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 09 Aug 2017, 10:58 pm

I just leave my treats in their bags and stuff them in one corner or another until someone eats them (the dog used to eat sunflower seeds!) or they get stale. Laughing

I get crazy about organizing once in a while, but for the most part it's chaos around here. I'm working on convincing my husband to put in some shelves in the coat closet... we don't use it for coats anyway! Then I'll have more storage space.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:58 pm

I picked up some unsweetened banana chips and roasted some cantaloupe seeds. Very Happy. And I have Boredom Breaker Harvest Festival for Small Animals coming.

CallaLily wrote:Currently pumpkin seeds, walnuts, nori, "tasty grubs," aniseed, graham crackers, and cheese flavored drops.  mealworms and dried shrimp

I'm still curious to hear what treats everyone else has on hand and how they store them. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:16 pm

I put a whole bunch of different treats in a container like this:
Treats and Storage 24-fon10
If you buy a lot of treats in big quantities than it's probably not worth it, but I use it for things like Cheerios, oats, rice krispies, and other random treats I don't feel like keeping the whole big box in with the mouse stuff.

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:18 pm

I recently worked out my mess of treats, I bought a bunch of small, stack-able, air-tight containers from the dollar store. They work really well and have kept the treats fresh.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:44 pm

Nice! Great for grabbing small amounts of mouse nummies from the pantry.

Stackable containers sounds really nice. I might have to check those out.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 26 Sep 2017, 8:20 pm

Lately instead of giving a daily treat variety (and since I have so many tanks!), I've been passing out one thing a day. It makes my life a lot easier. I used to have the plastic organizer with all the treats in it but it gets messy. So like today I pass out banana chips, tomorrow is pumpkin seeds, etc. I mean, sometimes I still pass out a few things but I try to keep it simple now. I mostly keep things in their original bags unless it's like a huge bag/box, in which case I move them to smaller airtight containers. And I keep everything on shelves in the critter room closet.

The stuff I have around for treats right now are walnuts, millet, coconut, flaxseeds, oats, cheerios, mealworms, banana chips, pumpkin seeds, homemade cantaloupe seeds, cheese flavored yogurt drops, freeze dried chicken, mini milkbones, gerber puffs, dried papaya, rice krispies, plain popcorn, and happy tot super food dino snack (like a gerber puff but out of kale/spinach). Gosh my critters are spoiled! And they still get fresh fruits and veggies!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 26 Sep 2017, 9:12 pm

I normally keep treats in Ziploc baggies in the cabinet that Mickey's tank sits on top of. The treats I currently have are organic "Cheerios", two kind of dog biscuits, two kinds of organic puffs, spray millet, and plantain chips.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 26 Sep 2017, 9:23 pm

Ok I've gotten some pictures of mine. It's still kind of a mess, but trust me, it's a whole lot better than it was Laughing I have popcorn, sunflower seeds, a little seed mix, mealworms, oat sprays, oats, "Tiny Friends Harry Hamster" treats, various treats from companies that have kindly sent me stuff like Vitakraft and Brown's, some old lab blocks from when I first started keeping mice (rarely use them anymore), dried papaya, dried turkey, dried pineapple, and so much more, lol, I can't even list it all. You'll see a lot of what I have in the pics though. Treats and Storage Img_8216
Treats and Storage Img_8217
Treats and Storage Img_8218

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:34 am

Wow, I thought I had a lot of options. Your little critters are lucky lucky. :lucky:

@Rodents rock!, what kind of dog biscuits do you use?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 27 Sep 2017, 11:51 pm

CallaLily wrote:Wow, I thought I had a lot of options. Your little critters are lucky lucky.  :lucky:

@Rodents rock!, what kind of dog biscuits do you use?

Currently small Milk-Bone regular biscuits and Paul Neuman turkey and sweet potato.
I give them to Mickey and I also give them to my hamster, Cam.
Neither Mickey nor Cam are much for chewing on their wood chews, so the dog biscuits keep their teeth in good shape and they are tasty for them Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 03 Oct 2017, 3:20 pm

CallaLily wrote: Boredom Breaker Harvest Festival for Small Animals

The sprays in this are huge.  Almost as long as my 40 breeder.  Way bigger than I thought. Laughing  But it smells so good. Hopefully they'll enjoy.  I feel like every time I order from viovet, my package arrives quicker. I was surprised to see it today.  Cool

I finally found more of the bigger treat containers at a Dollar Tree further away from me, so I snatched up a couple more. Not that these would fit. Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Wed 04 Oct 2017, 9:42 am

I just have ziploc bags. I replace them every 2 months.

Right now my mousie only gets one type of cracker. He's only been around for a few weeks. In awhile i will add a new treat. Then a new one. Then a new one, so more and more ziploc bags i guess.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next