Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help taming

2 posters

Go down

Need help taming Empty Need help taming

Post by Yassssssss Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:52 pm

So I've had my mice two weeks now, and have been trying to tame them for a week and a half. I place my hand in the bottom of the cage and keep it as still as possible. I've only been able to do this once a day in the evening though because they are not awake in the morning when I wake up. The most they have done is sniff my hand, with their whiskers literally only just brushing my hand. I cannot move them into a bin or the bath as they are literally impossible to catch, even using a mug or a tp roll. After I have finished trying to get them to be interested in me, I always give a reward like oats or cheerios. I have not made progress with my hand, but they don't run away when I come into the room or go past the cage anymore, so that's a positive.
Anyone know how to help?
Yassssssss
Yassssssss

Leo Relaxed

Back to top Go down

Need help taming Empty Re: Need help taming

Post by CallaLily Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:57 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track. It's only been a week and a half!  Wink

Keep up with it. Stay patient. And if you can move them to a separate safe play area, it usually gets faster results than taming in their home. But it can take many weeks or even months, depending on the mouse. Sniffing your hand and not running at the sight of you is progress!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Yassssssss Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

can I also add, how do you stop nibbling? One of my mice has nibbled me twice now on separate occasions and has drawn blood. I'm not that bothered about bleeding, but I don't want to start a bad habit.
Yassssssss
Yassssssss

Leo Relaxed

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 19 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

I've never had a mouse full on bite me, but my boy Daryl used to try nibbling my fingernails when I first got him. I just folded my fingers back when he did it and said "no bites," then tried again. He picked up on it pretty quick.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum