Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Are These?

3 posters

Go down

How Are These? Empty How Are These?

Post by Nijimi にじみ Tue 29 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

Hi guys!

I'll be mixing Mazuri Rat & Mouse Food and Higgins Vita Garden. One lacks what the other has which is why I want to mix them. Of course my mice will be having apples and other fresh produce to fulfill their needs but I want to get them chews that they will actually gnaw on because I've had bad a experience with wood blocks and all those boring chews.

I really want to try the eCOTRITION cheese chews, so I did buy a pack hehe :ferret1: I heard that lots of hamsters like them and not all mice do but all owners try new things don't they?

I bought lots of treats and I want to make a YouTube channel showing my reviews and such. I found a website that is secure and sells mice food cheaper than usual pet supply sites too on my journey! It is https://www.chewy.com and it is wonderful but it doesn't really have chews.

So be sure to tell me your opinions and thanks for reading! Cat7
Nijimi にじみ
Nijimi にじみ

Back to top Go down

How Are These? Empty Re: How Are These?

Post by CallaLily Wed 30 Aug 2017, 7:11 am

What is the crude protein in those foods?  I think the mazuri is too high (like 20-something%?), but depending how you mix it, you may be able to balance that out.

I don't like mazuri because it's mostly junk - soy and corn and molasses. But this is just my opinion.  I know there are many that feel it's a "quality" food just because it's a lab block.  I'm not sure what it would be adding (other than maybe too much protein)? I've read here in the homemade mixes section, written by BarabaraFunMouse, that the protein in soy isn't well utilized by a mouse's digestive system. But in all my reading about mouse diets I haven't found anything else on it, so I don't really know how accurate that statement is. So take that for whatever's it's worth.

I think the Higgins food is ok. Doesn't have tons of variety and may be a bit heavy on sunflower seeds, if I'm remembering correctly.

Small amounts of fresh veg/fruit at least twice a week is great. Just remember to take things slowly to prevent tummy upsets.

I don't think I've tried the cheesy chews with mice. Mine mostly love chewing cardboard, but apple or willow sticks are favs too.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

How Are These? Empty It's Fine!

Post by Nijimi にじみ Sat 02 Sep 2017, 3:11 pm

Cat19 My mouse barely eats the Mazuri, I just put in one block every day so she has protein. She's new to fresh fruit and all that but has had a taste of blueberries and cherries. She mostly eats the Higgins food but never eats the corn, peas/beans or sunflower seeds.

Do you think I should mix Vitakraft Vita Prima? For more "varitety"? Because I think both Higgins and that is mostly seeds? How does a mouse get variety with only seeds?
Nijimi にじみ
Nijimi にじみ

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 02 Sep 2017, 3:54 pm

Nijimi にじみ wrote:How does a mouse get variety with only seeds?

There isn't only one type of seed. There are hundreds of thousands of plant species in the world, many of them with seeds, so there is a huge variety of seeds to choose from. Seeds commonly found in bird foods or small animal foods include several varieties of millet, flax seed, sunflower seed, grass seed, and more. There are little bits of other things in the food too, that you probably just aren't noticing, like oats and dried fruits. What looks like just seeds to you, has a bit more variety in a mouse's eyes Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

How Are These? Empty Rolled Oats?

Post by Nijimi にじみ Sat 02 Sep 2017, 3:59 pm

Ah, I see. Do you think I can use the oats from oatmeal that we eat? The rolled plain oats? I will mix them in if it's fine. Confused
Nijimi にじみ
Nijimi にじみ

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 02 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm

Plain rolled oats are a good add in, but if you look at the ingredients in the mix you're using now you'll find there is probably already some there. But adding a bit more wouldn't hurt.

When you say VitaKraft VitaPrima, do you mean their mouse food or one of their other mixes?  Their mouse mix would add around 6 other whole foods that are not in the Higgins, I think. If you meant their parakeet mix (which many on here do use), I think it would add just a little more than the mouse.

Check out the ingredients on the back of the bag of each food you're thinking about and compare whole ingredients to see which food is worth adding to up variety. Don't forget to pay attention to the guaranteed analysis too. For most pet shop mice it's recommended to stay around 12-14% crude protein and keep fat and fiber under 10%.  Or another option would be to pick up various grains and seeds from your local supermarket (in grocery and some in the wild bird section) to add in.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Sat 02 Sep 2017, 11:35 pm

My Higgins food had almost all of the Vitakraft food so I bought a different brand of parakeet food instead. And hopefully this will add more variety! :ferret1:
Nijimi にじみ
Nijimi にじみ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum