Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade mix?

2 posters

Go down

Homemade mix? Empty Homemade mix?

Post by Razumouse Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:57 am

I live in such a place where finding a suitable mouse food is hard work, and I have come to the conclusion that for the best health for my future mice and to support my current little girl, a homemade mix is the best idea. I have done the research and have measured out ingredients and amounts and have calculated the protein, fat and fiber. The ingredients are oats, barley flakes, millet, my current mouse mix and some budgie mix, and I also am including some cat kibble and fruity treats. Does that sound alright? I want your advice.

And is it just me or does the forum look different? Very Happy
Razumouse
Razumouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Homemade mix? Empty Re: Homemade mix?

Post by CallaLily Wed 30 Aug 2017, 7:33 am

Using a good commercial budgie and/or mouse mix as a base is great.  I would skip the cat food. I just feel it's unnecessary, but I know many breeders use a good quality cat/dog kibble to boost protein for their breeding mice. But with pet mice it's not needed and you can boost it a little with more natural things like mealworms, crickets, eggs, plain cooked chicken, etc. Just my opinion. Smile

The other advice I would give is to just keep reading. Read anything and everything you can get your hands on about a mouse's diet. It was probably about 1.5-2 years of reading before I felt comfortable making my own mix (and I still supplement with fortified commercial mouse biscuits and use a budgie mix as a base).  Also, try to keep variety in mind when making a mix. For example, my mix has 28 whole food items in it, and I'm always looking to improve.

The forum does look different. @Peachy likes to change up the color scheme from time to time and feature a new mouse at the top. Very Happy

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Razumouse Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:59 pm

Thanks for the help, and I only put in the cat food for protein really. Meat protein, I mean. Maybe for now it will be best to stick with feeding budgie food. The whole reason I wanted to make a mix was to add variety and lessen the fiber, but I'm not sure I am prepared. But seriously, finding a good food here is very difficult, like I said earlier. Mice are an uncommon pet so the supply of good food is already limited, and all the budgie mixes have low variety and either too high protein or fiber. The one I have right now is okay though, not the best.

Razumouse
Razumouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum