Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organic potting soil as bedding

2 posters

Go down

Organic potting soil as bedding Empty Organic potting soil as bedding

Post by Hemiptera Wed 30 Aug 2017, 2:26 am

Hello there!
I'm looking into owning mice again and I stumbled upon some info that said soil was one of the best ways to control cage odor as it has microbes that can break down the urea and other waste products. This is interesting to me and would definitely make my mousekeeping experience a lot more pleasant, as I had kept mice on both fleece and paper bedding, and found that fleece bedding was extremely dirty and inconvenient to use, while paper bedding often clumped up and was not great at controlling odor (I used Kaytee's C&C).
Upon digging around my local nurseries, I found this product. I called the nursery to inquire if there was any added chemicals or fertiliser and they confirmed that it was chemical-free, but I'm slightly worried about whether the compost would be safe for mice.
If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it! :^)
Hemiptera
Hemiptera

Back to top Go down

Organic potting soil as bedding Empty Re: Organic potting soil as bedding

Post by CallaLily Wed 30 Aug 2017, 7:47 am

I believe there has been a few people come through here that have used soil with success. Ive never tried it, but it can be done. Here's what the PMF bedding thread says:
Soil has been reported as the best bedding for eliminating odor. If soil is used, some standard precautions need to be taken. Because animals freely walk (and fly) among our yards and may track disease, bacteria, etc., soil from your yard is of a higher risk than sterile soil bought from the store. If you choose to use soil, it is advised that you buy sterile, organic potting soil with no chemicals (fertilizers, etc.) added. It is also very important to make sure soil is frozen or baked before use to help prevent parasites and fungus.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t36-cleaning-odor-and-bedding

So yes, that potting soil should be safe. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum