Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nylon okay for mice?

3 posters

Go down

Nylon okay for mice? Empty Nylon okay for mice?

Post by mikvoh Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:53 am

Before I start I'd like to say that I've only just recently bought my first mouse and I have a lot to learn. I recently bought a toy for my mouse who really enjoys climbing- only, this toy isn't made explicitly for mice. It's a very sturdy toy- extremely sturdy- my mouse has tried to nibble at it and doesn't even make a dent. But before I really let him have it in his cage, I want to make sure the material it's made from won't harm him. It's one of Kong's 'Pet Stix', which I'll link below. It's made of nylon- will this hurt him?
I'll be keeping it out of his cage until I know for sure.
Here is a link to the toy in question: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/kong-pet-stix-dog-toy-5023627--1

Thank you for any helpful response, I really appreciate it Kiss

mikvoh

Taurus Spaced

Back to top Go down

Nylon okay for mice? Empty Re: Nylon okay for mice?

Post by stephlisa Fri 01 Sep 2017, 7:10 am

Is it a fabric toy?

Personally I wouldn't want to use this with my mouse because it looks the sort of material that he would get his nails stuck in (but then, every 3-6 months he has to be taken to the vet for a pedicure because he has back toe-nails which curl rather impressively because he seems unable to wear them down no matter what we try!).

I'd also worry that if he did decide to chew on it that it would cause him to choke should he eat one of the fibres or any of the stuffing inside.

But if you are sure he won't nibble or get himself caught then its really your choice to decide whether or not to allow him to play with it.

Others may have different opinions on this toy, but that would be mine just from your description and the photo!

P.S. My boy's favourite climbing toys are anything made from lolly sticks!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 01 Sep 2017, 7:24 am

I wouldn't use it without careful supervision. I'm not sure about the safety of nylon but the stuffing is definitely not safe.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by mikvoh Mon 04 Sep 2017, 3:09 am

Thank you so much, I'll keep the toy away from him then and get him something new made out of wood. He's so energetic and sweet, I just want him to be able to climb around safely when he's not climbing on me.

Nylon okay for mice? Mouse110
Nylon okay for mice? Mouse210

mikvoh

Taurus Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum