Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open wound

2 posters

Go down

Open wound  Empty Open wound

Post by Rynlo94 Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:17 pm

Okay for some background information. I got two mice from my biology lab in college, both male, in October of last year. They were housed together and there wasn't any fighting. When I came home from college I had to keep them at my dads house and I would visit once or twice a week to clean it and play with them. He fed them and gave them water while I wasn't there. They got along fine until one started barbering the other one. I upgraded their cage and got them a few new toys and it stopped and the mouses hair grew back. Then weeks later it started again so I started giving them more toys and such. Then sadly the one barbering the other passed away. I thought that his hair would grow back just like it did last time but this time he started itching the spot on his neck pretty bad. It started getting raw and a little bloody. I've had him for almost a year now. I moved back to school and took him with me so I put him in a tank with a lot of toys and better bedding thinking that maybe this was bothering him. Now sometimes the spot gets better but then he'll itch it again and get the scab off and it will be worse. I'm not sure what I should do. The spot on his neck is pretty big. I've been putting antibiotic ointment on it, but sparingly because I'm afraid of him eating too much of it. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. ( his name is Robert Paulson btw)

Rynlo94

Back to top Go down

Open wound  Empty Re: Open wound

Post by CallaLily Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:32 pm

This thread talks about itching and possible causes and treatment. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites  I hope it helps.
If he's never been treated for mites, I would go ahead and get that out of the way first  (info in link).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum