Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what should i do with the male (dad) mice?

4 posters

Go down

what should i do with the male (dad) mice? Empty what should i do with the male (dad) mice?

Post by a1b2c3 Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:03 pm

hi guys! i'm new so i'm not sure where to post this and i didn't see any section in the forums about this? or maybe i missed it, so if i should delte it and post it somewhere else let me know  Ear wiggle

anyways, today my female mice had babies, so when i got home i moved the dad into a different cage and left the mom and the babies in the cage they were born in (i didn't want to mess with the babies or the mom just in case).
my question is what should i do with the male? i read that mice shouldn't be alone but also that male mice cannot be near the babies Confused
also that male mice cannot be together? i don't know what to do with him  Bad Day
i wanted to know after three weeks or so, if i could put the male babies with the dad in one cage, and the female babies with the mom in another? is it ok to leave the male alone for such a long time? i'm worried and sad about it so i'm not sure what to do, and if this question was posted somewhere else please let me know

Bouncy guide Bouncy me Bouncy please Bouncy  haha

a1b2c3
a1b2c3

Back to top Go down

what should i do with the male (dad) mice? Empty Re: what should i do with the male (dad) mice?

Post by Mice Are Cute Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm

Don't worry! Male mice could and should not be housed with others! All you have to do is keep him in his new cage. When the male babies are old enough, you could keep them in seperate cages for yourself, or sell or adopt them out.

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

what should i do with the male (dad) mice? Empty Re: what should i do with the male (dad) mice?

Post by CallaLily Tue 05 Sep 2017, 7:32 am

Male mice should not be housed with other males. They're very territorial so it almost always leads to very serious (and often deadly) fighting. In nature, Mus musculus live in groups that consist of one male and several females. Rival males and mature male pups are fought and chased away. This is why it often turns deadly in captivity because there's no where for them to go!

And of course you know all too well that an intact male kept with females results in a lot of babies, so that's not an option either.

Most mouse owners house their males alone and just spend a lot of one-on-one time with him and give him a lot of toys and activities.  

It's pretty uncommon in the US, but a little more common in some other countries I believe, to neuter male mice so they can  maybe be introduced to a group of females (I say maybe because no introduction is guaranteed to work out). But as with any surgery there are risks, especially for mice.  They're small and often don't handle anesthesia well.  A very experienced exotic vet (not a general dog/cat vet) is a must and it can get expensive.  For these reasons, many here in the US only go this route if their boy is so lonely he's hurting himself.

Some links to info on male mice:
Keeping Mice Together
Males Living Together (warning graphic photos)
Neutering Male Mice
Let's Hear It For The Boys

I linked info for mom and babies in your intro thread.

EDIT: Adding links to ideas on keeping your mice entertained. Smile
Popsicle Stick Toys
Totally FREE Toy Ideas
Step-by-Step Fake Friend Instructions

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute Tue 05 Sep 2017, 1:55 pm

CallaLily wrote:Male mice should not be housed with other males. They're very territorial so it almost always leads to very serious (and often deadly) fighting. In nature, Mus musculus live in groups that consist of one male and several females. Rival males and mature male pups are fought and chased away. This is why it often turns deadly in captivity because there's no where for them to go!

And of course you know all too well that an intact male kept with females results in a lot of babies, so that's not an option either.

Most mouse owners house their males alone and just spend a lot of one-on-one time with him and give him a lot of toys and activities.  

It's pretty uncommon in the US, but a little more common in some other countries I believe, to neuter male mice so they can  maybe be introduced to a group of females (I say maybe because no introduction is guaranteed to work out). But as with any surgery there are risks, especially for mice.  They're small and often don't handle anesthesia well.  A very experienced exotic vet (not a general dog/cat vet) is a must and it can get expensive.  For these reasons, many here in the US only go this route if their boy is so lonely he's hurting himself.

Some links to info on male mice:
Keeping Mice Together
Males Living Together (warning graphic photos)
Neutering Male Mice
Let's Hear It For The Boys

I linked info for mom and babies in your intro thread.

EDIT: Adding links to ideas on keeping your mice entertained. Smile
Popsicle Stick Toys
Totally FREE Toy Ideas
Step-by-Step Fake Friend Instructions
Very true! I used to house my mice together (not a good idea...) and Grayson got beat up pretty bad. It doesn't help that he keeps scratching his face!  Gaah He looks like he survived a world war! It is very rare when they actually get along, sadly. When I bought Biggy, Grayson, and Blondie, the Lady at the PetSmart said they would get along. That's why I am never trusting them again!

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Tue 05 Sep 2017, 4:09 pm

You would laugh when you read this! My two females came to me pregnant, and produced 20 babies, eleven of which were male. Having nurtured their moms and them since birth, I was not willing to give them up to pet shops where they would be tossed in with other males and mostly sold as snake food. I could not find a pet shop in our area that the result wasn't the same. And there are no rescues that take mice.
So, my solution - I bought nice size tubs at Target (10 of them), 10 wheels, 10 water bottles, shredded paper and placed each little guy in his own place. I have homed one of them, cage accessories, et al, and have a few other folks deciding. I charge nothing for the right owner, as this would make me happy that my boys get a good home. I even send directions as to care, and a little food to get them started. If any of you are in the Lake Worth, Florida area and would like the sweetest, healthy, little white male mouse, or three or four little girl mice, please contact me. Feeding, cleaning, and talking to them all is a riot! I think I am running a kennel! Please contact me.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum