Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To clean or not to clean?

4 posters

Go down

To clean or not to clean? Empty To clean or not to clean?

Post by Yassssssss Fri 08 Sep 2017, 11:15 am

My mice have a wooden house under  their shelf in the corner. Behind the house they have made their sleeping area which is made of shredded paper. It takes up half of the area under the shelf and they can climb on top of it, which is the issue. I have been debating whether or not to clean out and destroy this home ( they do have other options, just haven't gone for them) as they pee on top. This is the only place they tend to pee heavily, and I'm worried about it leaking through to where they sleep, as well as the smell of their pee being bad for them. They've had this home for a couple of weeks and it's impossible to clean out the dirty bedding from on top as there's only about 3cm from the bottom of the non removable shelf to the top of their home. I do clean the rest of the ( wire) cage weekly though. So, should I leave it or should I clean it?
Yassssssss
Yassssssss

Leo Relaxed

Back to top Go down

To clean or not to clean? Empty Re: To clean or not to clean?

Post by CallaLily Fri 08 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

I completely clean the mouse tank every week.  It's necessary with mice. They pee a lot and ammonia can build up quickly, which can be harmful to their respiratory system. I know some do try to leave their nest undisturbed but if they're peeing in it, you'll have to change it.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 08 Sep 2017, 5:12 pm

I also do a complete weekly clean including bed areas! I'd go ahead and clean it. They won't mind. They can just build a new one!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 08 Sep 2017, 8:30 pm

I would clean it all out weekly. My Mickey seems to enjoy the nest making process when he is put back in his clean tank and it gives him an activity to do. Dance
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down