Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Wild Mouse

+3
Artistwolf
Peachy
CallaLily
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Young Wild Mouse Empty Young Wild Mouse

Post by CallaLily Wed 04 Oct 2017, 6:56 am

Last night one of the dogs got ahold of a little tiny mouse. S/he is still alive but wobbly. His/Her eyes are open, fully furred but very very small. Made it through the night but I'm not sure I'm getting anything into him/her.  No poop or pee that I've seen.  Do pups this age still need to be stimulated to go to the bathroom?  I've been offering water, dry seed mix, and cooked oats.  Tried getting water in him/her with a paint brush this morning.  S/he seems pretty weak.  I just recently tossed my can of kmr because it had expired, so I need to pick up another.  I am providing extra warmth with a rice sock.  Am I forgetting anything?

This pic is horrible but I really dont want to stress the poor thing too much.
Young Wild Mouse 20171010

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Young Wild Mouse Empty Re: Young Wild Mouse

Post by Peachy Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:59 am

My babies were pottying by themselves around 12 days. It's the first 1.5-2 weeks that they need help with pottying, so if he has fur and his eyes are open he should be passed that part. My wild mouse seemed in a terrible state after a cat got him, but he was doing great after a couple days. I hope your little thing will perk up a little when he's relaxed some!

We had a Jack Russell that got hold of a mouse and killed him quickly, but not all cat incidents were fatal. I wonder if dogs usually manage more damage than cats. Scratch
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 04 Oct 2017, 11:50 am

He didn't make it. Sad I had a feeling he wouldn't. Sad

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Wed 04 Oct 2017, 2:39 pm

Aw, I'm so sorry Sad

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute Wed 04 Oct 2017, 4:24 pm

Aww, poor little one! I am happy you tried and didn't just leave him. I noticed that a lot of pet mouse lovers find wild mice. Even I have, but he was just hanging out in a Meerkats cage at the zoo. (Kinda weird).

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 14 Nov 2017, 7:37 am

Here we go again.

Yesterday morning one of the cats had a mouse. I thought the poor thing was already dead at first, she was so still. But she's hanging in there and already looking so much better. I think she's going to make it!  I didn't want to post in case she didn't make it like the poor little boy before.

She's young but obviously old enough to be away from mom. I had her in a critter keeper overnight but she's doing so well this morning, I moved her into the 15g until I'm sure she's ok to be released. There's at least one other youngin hanging around. Another cat had grabbed it last night but it ran off once my husband got it from the cat and later one of my sons saw it (or another) in his room.  We'll need to pick up some more live traps.  I'm thinking I might try to catch and release them all together. Just depends on how quickly I can catch them. And the weather I suppose.

Anyway, here's a really bad picture of her. Best my camera can do without the flash.
Young Wild Mouse 20171110

How cold is too cold to release?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 14 Nov 2017, 8:00 pm

Awww, she is so cute!!!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 17 Nov 2017, 6:16 am

In the middle of the  night my middle son managed to catch the other mouse we've been seeing.  That's the good news. The bad news is when he tried to put it in the tank with the one I already had (I was asleep), she jumped out!  So the little mouse pictures above is loose but we have the one my son caught still. This one looks older than the first. Hopefully we'll catch the little again, but I'm kind of glad they weren't thrown together last night. Not sure how that would have went. lol

Edit to add picture of the new one. Looks so much like Celyn and Rina when they were younger.
Young Wild Mouse 20171111

Also, I'm still wondering about how cold is too cold? These mice will be released once I'm sure they're in good health.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 17 Nov 2017, 10:06 pm

From all the sources I've seen, anything under 65 degrees can be fatal. They are so cute! I hope you catch the other one!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 19 Nov 2017, 11:32 am

Thank you.

I haven't seen a trace of the one that escaped. I hope the cats didn't get her. Worry

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:17 am

I realized I never got around to updating this thread.

The mouse that escaped is still MIA.  

The other mouse, I'm pretty sure female too, is still here. I'm not completely sure what's wrong but maybe a stroke?  Or just from damage when the cat had her?  The first thing I noticed is her balance is off and she flips and rolls, especially if she's trying to move around quickly. I think she's also holding her front left paw up - don't know if it's injured or if she just doesn't have full use of it (stroke?).  The second thing I noticed once she settled some is her left eye is partially closed. It doesn't look infected, so maybe injured by the cat?  It's not red but maybe a tiny bit puffy, lid mostly closed, what I can see of the eye looks white-ish, and I'm pretty sure she can't see out of it.  I do my best to try to smear some opthalmic antiobiotic cream on it daily, but it's tough because obviously she freaks out.  This eye ointment is a tube I have leftover from Daryl. The vet told me to keep it, even after the expiry date, because it will still be good/safe and called it "liquid gold" (it was kinda expensive for the tiny tube but you don't use much for a mouse).  So I have not released this mouse yet. I figure I shouldn't even consider it until her eye is for sure clear of the risk of infection and she's getting around better? Thoughts? If this was a pet mouse I would have already had her to the vet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 25 Nov 2017, 5:42 pm

CallaLily wrote:I realized I never got around to updating this thread.

The mouse that escaped is still MIA.  

The other mouse, I'm pretty sure female too, is still here. I'm not completely sure what's wrong but maybe a stroke?  Or just from damage when the cat had her?  The first thing I noticed is her balance is off and she flips and rolls, especially if she's trying to move around quickly. I think she's also holding her front left paw up - don't know if it's injured or if she just doesn't have full use of it (stroke?).  The second thing I noticed once she settled some is her left eye is partially closed. It doesn't look infected, so maybe injured by the cat?  It's not red but maybe a tiny bit puffy, lid mostly closed, what I can see of the eye looks white-ish, and I'm pretty sure she can't see out of it.  I do my best to try to smear some opthalmic antiobiotic cream on it daily, but it's tough because obviously she freaks out.  This eye ointment is a tube I have leftover from Daryl. The vet told me to keep it, even after the expiry date, because it will still be good/safe and called it "liquid gold" (it was kinda expensive for the tiny tube but you don't use much for a mouse).  So I have not released this mouse yet. I figure I shouldn't even consider it until her eye is for sure clear of the risk of infection and she's getting around better?  Thoughts?  If this was a pet mouse I would have already had her to the vet.

Awww, poor girl. It sounds from your description is you may end up needing to keep this mouse as I don't think she would survive in the wild now. Have you ever kept a wild mouse before as a pet?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 25 Nov 2017, 5:54 pm

Poor thing. I wouldn't release if I thought she was ill or injured, either. They seem to adapt very well, but if she's circling I would be concerned about her in the wild. Missy the cat brought me a deer mouse that just ran in tiny little circles all day, but he ended up passing after a couple days.

Wild Thing has no use of his back foot, it's just limp and hanging there. I never released because he seemed to struggle, but lately he's been doing so well that I've contemplated releasing him in the spring. I can go weeks without seeing him, but I once caught him jumping off a box and onto his wheel at the most impossible angle, and while jumping he somehow turned himself around in a split second and went right to running. It was crazy. Don't Know
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 25 Nov 2017, 6:31 pm

It crossed my mind that I might not be able to release, but I'm hoping she'll improve enough that I can. She's not full on circling, just flips and rolls. But if that doesn't get better I'll consider keeping her. @Rodents rock! I haven't ever kept a wild mouse. I released one, the first in this thread passed, second escaped, and now this one with the injuries. Most wild mice around here are dead by the time I find them because of the cats. But whenever I can help one, I try. Thank you both for the input.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm

Hopefully she will make a full recovery for release, but if not then she is lucky to have you. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum