Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should a Male Mouse Be Neutered?

5 posters

Go down

Should a Male Mouse Be Neutered?  Empty Should a Male Mouse Be Neutered?

Post by Quirkyvictorian Fri 06 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

Hello, me again! Sorry to be such a pest, but I have another question. Embarassed

When I first looked into mice and was trying to decide whether to get a male or some females, I remember reading that getting a mouse neutered is dangerous and almost always unnecessary/the risks outweigh the benefits. And I was like, "Oh, that's good." I like my vet, and I've seen people there with small animals, but honestly I don't think they would be qualified to do surgery on one. So I was happy it was unnecessary, and then I just moved on.

But now, I've seen a couple of things that insist that for a male mouse to be a good pet, he must be neutered. Confused  So I'm starting to get kind of worried. Is that really true? Is an un-neutered male automatically going to be that much more territorial? Will a neutered male automatically be less aggressive and more friendly? Probably the most important: can a male mouse really live a happy and full life on his own? Even if he's given a lot of attention by his owner, will that really replace the need to socialize with his own kind?

I'm guessing that it really is fine not to neuter a male mouse, but I just want to be sure, now that I've seen a couple of other sources that would argue the contrary. Once again, sorry for all the questions!

Edit: By the way, I hope this is the right category for this. I thought so because it's talking about how neutering affects behaviour, but if it's in the wrong place, I apologise!
Quirkyvictorian
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Should a Male Mouse Be Neutered?  Empty Re: Should a Male Mouse Be Neutered?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:55 pm

Don't worry, you aren't asking too many questions! That's what this forum is for! Smile

I suggest checking out the section on neutering found in our health packet here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet

There is a whole section about the pros and cons of neutering. Cons do outweigh the pros and it generally isn't recommended to neuter unless you have an extremely knowledgeable vet and a good reason to do it. It is very risky and it really isn't worth it to put a mouse's life at risk simply so he will behave a little better. In fact, many males don't change their personalities at all, they may be just as territorial as before (If they were territorial before).

As long as you give your mouse the most attention you can, in addition to a decent sized enclosure with lots and lots of toys, he should be fine and perfectly happy. Several people on this forum have had male mice living alone that have lived 2-3 years, a very long life.

Should a Male Mouse Be Neutered?  Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm

Neutering is only really advised when you want him to be able to live with females. It isn't proven to do much for behavior one way or another, and the risks of surgery just aren't worth it in most cases.

I've had seventeen male mice over the past seven years... Some were born here, some came from pet stores, and a couple were taken in when they were close to a year old. They all were very sweet, some just needed a little more time and work than others. Don't let potential "bad" behavior scare ya away! Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:23 pm

Thank you so much to both of you for your responses! I'm so glad it isn't necessary to neuter a male mouse, and that not doing so won't affect the behaviour.

I'm so glad I found this forum! I've done a lot of research on YouTube and various websites, but the best information I have found, by far, has been here. And it's so nice, when I can't find the information I'm looking for, to be able to ask a question and get quick and trustworthy responses. Thank you!
Quirkyvictorian
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Sat 07 Oct 2017, 1:45 am

Was wondering where you come from?

Because, interestingly, there are people here in the UK who think that neutering a male is the best thing to do. (These are though the people who fiercely believe that all male mice should live with other mice). As for me, I don't believe that its the best course of action, but its interesting.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian Sat 07 Oct 2017, 8:32 am

stephlisa wrote:Was wondering where you come from?

Because, interestingly, there are people here in the UK who think that neutering a male is the best thing to do.  (These are though the people who fiercely believe that all male mice should live with other mice).  As for me, I don't believe that its the best course of action, but its interesting.

I'm in the U.S. Hmm, that is interesting. Reminds me of the ongoing water bowl debate in the tarantula world, though that one isn't necessarily location based, I don't think. I guess part of the fun of keeping animals is finding out what works best for you, but then some people get over excited and say it's best for everyone! The thing about that is there are just so many variables. So, I think I'll go with the safer and less-expensive option and not have my mouse neutered.
Quirkyvictorian
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:27 am

I currently have a male mouse. Got him from PETsMART a little over a year and a half ago. He was sweet from the get go and has only gotten sweeter with time Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Quirkyvictorian Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:35 am

Rodents rock! wrote:I currently have a male mouse. Got him from PETsMART a little over a year and a half ago. He was sweet from the get go and has only gotten sweeter with time Very Happy

Aww that's wonderful to hear! I'm so looking forward to getting my little boy. He's going to come from Petsmart also. I hope I'm fortunate enough to get a really sweet one like yours! Smile

I'm starting to get really excited and impatient, but I've got to wait until I get home. (I'm out of town for the next two weeks, which is probably good because it prevents me from running out and getting one too soon, but I really really want one!) Bouncy
Quirkyvictorian
Quirkyvictorian
Jr Member
Jr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum