Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Boys

4 posters

Go down

British Boys Empty British Boys

Post by MouseLover Mon 30 May 2016, 3:48 pm

I was wondering about something the other day, and thought I'd post a topic here on the off-chance that someone knows anything about it.

I have a suspicion that keeping male mice together is more common in Britain than in the USA. I know quite a few people who have had male mice as pets, all living in the same cage. I've also seen male mice available for re-homing being sold/adopted in groups, and have come across breeders who state that their mice must go in pairs/groups (including boys). It has made me wonder if male mice are kept together more commonly here than elsewhere. If so, then presumably more people here are "getting away with it" (i.e. are lucky enough not to have any nasty fights, injuries, or deaths).

I am in no way recommending keeping males together, or suggesting that it is okay to do so if you have British mice. Keeping males together is always dangerous. It is not in a buck's nature to enjoy the company of another buck. I am merely making an observation, and am wondering whether the British boys may be more tolerant of it than others.

As far as I'm aware, Britain has the longest history of breeding fancy mice (except for possibly Japan?) and the National Mouse Club was founded in the late 1800's. Do you think it's possible that the long history of mouse-breeding here has lead to a slightly different temperament, where bucks are more able to tolerate other bucks, than say American mice?

If I ever get a boy, as I hope to do some day, I will be keeping him solo. Knowing how attached I get to my mice, I could never take such a big risk like that. Other than ignorance, I don't understand why anyone would.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

British Boys Empty Re: British Boys

Post by goldfishfanforever Mon 30 May 2016, 5:34 pm

I have seen male mice being kept together at pet stores but that was only because of space issues however I agree that males should be kept by themselves as not only could they fight and kill each other but two bucks together equal twice as much smell and the tank those mice lived in smelt disgusting.
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 30 May 2016, 8:51 pm

MouseLover wrote:Do you think it's possible that the long history of mouse-breeding here has lead to a slightly different temperament, where bucks are more able to tolerate other bucks, than say American mice?

I know I've seen NM post something along these lines. It's still a risk but very well bred lines over there seem to have worked some (most?) of the aggression out. At least this was my understanding. Though I think there's still quite a few that have trouble. I think it's also more common over there to get males neutered? As you said, it's still not in their nature to enjoy the company of other males. In the wild they would be living with a group of females, chasing/fighting off other males.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Mon 30 May 2016, 9:06 pm

CallaLily wrote:
MouseLover wrote:Do you think it's possible that the long history of mouse-breeding here has lead to a slightly different temperament, where bucks are more able to tolerate other bucks, than say American mice?

I know I've seen NM post something along these lines. It's still a risk but very well bred lines over there seem to have worked some (most?) of the aggression out. At least this was my understanding. Though I think there's still quite a few that have trouble. I think it's also more common over there to get males neutered?  As you said, it's still not in their nature to enjoy the company of other males. In the wild they would be living with a group of females, chasing/fighting off other males.
Yeah but isn't that like male guinea pigs however they can live in pairs
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 30 May 2016, 9:07 pm

I don't know enough about guinea pigs to compare.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Mon 30 May 2016, 9:36 pm

CallaLily wrote:I don't know enough about guinea pigs to compare.
Oh okay it's just that males in the wild would protect their group of girls from other males however some males can live together
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 30 May 2016, 9:40 pm

Yeah... It's risky to compare two different animals. Guinea pigs and mice might have some things in common but they've still got different instincts and it's been proven that that might work in Guinea pigs but it's also been proven to the contrary in mice. I do understand what you're saying though Smile

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Mon 30 May 2016, 9:59 pm

Artistwolf wrote:Yeah... It's risky to compare two different animals. Guinea pigs and mice might have some things in common but they've still got different instincts and it's been proven that that might work in Guinea pigs but it's also been proven to the contrary in mice. I do understand what you're saying though Smile
Yeah I would never compare my hamsters with my guinea pigs so you are right there Cool
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum